PDA

View Full Version : Wish they would get wigglers

willyhunt
05-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Hi all, hoping someone has some good advise.

I'm getting so frustrated. Definite female Red paired with

Albino Red Diamond. Not sure if it's a male or not.

They've spawned 8 times now (about every 8-9 days apart), they and are very attentive to the eggs but they never hatch.

Nothing wrong with water cause others spawning in same water all get great hatch rates.

I really want this to be successful as I'm real keen on seeing what the Albino Intermediates will look like.

I guess my question to you all is how long have you persevered in a situation like this if you have had something similar before separating them and trying to use another male? I only have Turk males and don't want to use one of them.

In other words when would you think its time to give up on them.

Second Hand Pat
05-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi Bill, some considerations..you could have two females. Do the eggs go white after about 24 hours? Is the suspected male a young fish and perhaps still not mature enough. Perhaps you could observe the breeding tubes during a spawn.
Pat

willyhunt
05-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Hi Pat, I think I posted this in the wrong section. Meant to put it in the breeding section...maybe an admin could move it???????????

Age of both fish is unknown. Best guess on the suspected male is maybe 14 - 18 months based on other fish I have purchased from this importer. Yep eggs generally go white from between 24 & 48 hours so not being fertilised. Sometimes they clean them off and other times they tend them for 4 - 5 days.

The Albino is kinda interested but I never catch them spawning as they normally do it when I'm at work. Must be shy. The Albinos tube is definitely much finer and sort of pointed compared to the female.

I hope he eventually gets it cause I think they would have nice looking offspring. Just don't know when to give up on them :-)

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Willy, I moved the thread. Not should what to tell you. I have read that higher temps can effect fertilization by the male so you might try lowering the temp to 82.