PDA

View Full Version : Gallons US or Imperial for capacity calculations?

michael.henderson
05-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Hey all I'm pretty new to this site and although I've had community tanks for years I'm pretty new to the Discus world. Being in Australia everything's in litres, therefor my my 4ft 200 litre tank converts into 52.5 us but only 44 Imperial gallons. So the question is which one do I go by for this site. Also how many turquoise discus would people recommend for the tank in question? I will be keeping 6 leopard corys with them to keep the sand clean and water changes every second day. I will have to grow them out as only 2 inch discus can be sourced in my area. Any help will be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickztahone
05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Hello, and welcome to SimplyDiscus! I can not help you with the measurements too much, but a rule of thumb for discus keepers here is 1 per 10 gallons. Stock according to that number and you will be golden.

michael.henderson
05-07-2014, 09:19 PM
So is that US gallons or imperial because they're very different.

rickztahone
05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I would be talking about US gallons.

michael.henderson
05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks heaps

MIke D
06-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Hello, and welcome to SimplyDiscus! I can not help you with the measurements too much, but a rule of thumb for discus keepers here is 1 per 10 gallons. Stock according to that number and you will be golden.

Hi Rick,

When you state "1 per 10 gallons" do you mean fully grown (approx. 7" Discus) or ?? size?

Mike