PDA

View Full Version : sudden death

jonesdeini
05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
I noticed no problems; I fed them twice earlier today and they all ate. I have had the fish that died for almost 2 years and it was largest in the tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
The fish was head standing, dark, not breathing when I found it. It was dead shortly after.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
55 Gallon. 7 adults

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
10-15 Gal every day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
over a year, yes it's bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No. When I did, I only noticed a mild change from 8.4 to 8.2

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84

- ph 8.2

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading under 5 ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water yes, I use a THREE STAGE CARBON BLOCK CHLORINE FILTRATION SYSTEM from thefilterguys.biz. I tested the water for chlorine and there was none.

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
none, all fish have been in the tank for at least 6 months together.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Rudustin
05-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Sorry for your loss. Were lights on or off when you found the discus? Do you have any decoration in your tank, rocks, drift wood etc.? It is difficult to figure out because all the parameters of your tanks seem just right. Hope someone can get the answer for you but it is doubtful. Were there any marks on the fish, dark blemish like a bruise or missing scales?

jonesdeini
05-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Sorry for your loss. Were lights on or off when you found the discus? Do you have any decoration in your tank, rocks, drift wood etc.? It is difficult to figure out because all the parameters of your tanks seem just right. Hope someone can get the answer for you but it is doubtful. Were there any marks on the fish, dark blemish like a bruise or missing scales?

the light was on. In the tank there is a sponge filter and a breeding cone.

The fish was dark when I found it but I thought it was because it had already passed.

Here are a few pictures of when I found the fish http://imgur.com/a/PeMmF

Madaboutdiscus
05-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Do you use a dechlorinator agent like Prime or something? I know you have the filtration system but I wasn't sure if you Prime.

~Victoria

Skip
05-13-2014, 01:25 PM
no telling..

Rudustin
05-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I am afraid that it it is literally impossible to assess why your discus passed away. Hopefully it is just one time problem and your other discus are not impacted in some way. Once again sorry for your loss.

Skip
05-13-2014, 03:43 PM
All Die at one time.. = Water Quality/chemistry issue..

fish die one at a time.. = pathogens.. or few times from suicide..

KISS method of Andrew Soh lecture on fish deaths.. :)