PDA

View Full Version : Question about ph

Madaboutdiscus
05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm adding some new discus to my tank after proper qt of course. I have my 30 qt tank set up and cycling for now. Previously I always thought my ph went from 7.4 to 7.2 after aging. I'm not sure if the water has changed or I was seeing the ph wrong. Anyway now I've discovered that my ph goes from 7.4 to 6.8. I already age the water I use for the current discus. Problem is we are absolutely out of room and I cannot age it for the new tank. There's just nowhere to put another one. My question is is that a huge enough swing that it would bother the new ones? Of course I know we still have micro bubbles issue but they'll be in the current tank in a couple months anyway. So will the .4 ph swing bother them for the couple months that I can't age water for them? They're 3 golden crystals from kenny. Sizes 3-3.5 inches. I really want to age the water but we are just at capacity now. Thanks.

~Victoria

Len
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
7.4 to 6.8 is actually a .6 swing, but unless your changing 100% of the water that won't be the same swing your tank takes. Also if your refilling straight from tap, in your case the tank pH will rise during the WC (not a big deal) and then will slowly drop over a period of several hours. It shouldn't be an issue.

Madaboutdiscus
05-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Lol sorry I meant that I'm not sure where I got .4. But anyway thanks. It's a 30 gallon I'll change at least half maybe more if I can.

~Victoria

Len
05-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Just try it for a few water changes and watch how the fish react. I'd suspect they'll be fine. :)

Madaboutdiscus
05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
I partially grew the others out without aging the water they seemed to do fine. But I did notice a change in them for the good when I started aging. The bunch I have now came in as dime sized itty bitty critters could barely see them and it didn't affect them. I lost 2 within 2 days shipping stress I assumed. But otherwise they were fine.

~Victoria

pcsb23
05-13-2014, 07:47 AM
7.4 to 6.8 is actually a .6 swing, but unless your changing 100% of the water that won't be the same swing your tank takes. Also if your refilling straight from tap, in your case the tank pH will rise during the WC (not a big deal) and then will slowly drop over a period of several hours. It shouldn't be an issue.Agreed :) No issue.

Madaboutdiscus
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Ok great that makes me feel better. Thanks guys.

~Victoria