PDA

View Full Version : Discus Laid eggs...now what??

Ducati
05-14-2014, 08:23 AM
I have a 110 gallon community tank with 5 adult discus and variety of smaller community fish. There are plants in the tank too but mostly Amazons.

My Brilliant Blue and Blue Scorpion apparantly laid eggs on one of the Amazon sword and the eggs appears fertilized because I can see little black things wiggling inside the eggs.

What should I do next??

Second Hand Pat
05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
What do you want to do? I would leave them alone and let them defend the fry. Of course once the fry go free swimming they will be eaten. If you want to raise some fry allow the pair to spawn a couple times in the community tank to strengthen the pair bond.

Then you can decide if you wish to remove them to a pair tank. Consider this carefully as fry are a lot of work and time.

Ducati
05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Speaking of fry..I just had my third one last week so time is something I don't have so much of anymore. I may just let nature take it's course in the community tank. I don't have the additional tank or the space in my house to raise the fry.

k7prz
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
What do you want to do? I would leave them alone and let them defend the fry. Of course once the fry go free swimming they will be eaten. If you want to raise some fry allow the pair to spawn a couple times in the community tank to strengthen the pair bond.

Then you can decide if you wish to remove them to a pair tank. Consider this carefully as fry are a lot of work and time.

AMEN on that "lots of work" stuff! Although some of the work may just be "worry" and learning patience. My 50 fry are almost the size of dimes still with parents in a 20 gallon bare bottom. Been waiting about 2 years for these fry.

Dave

Keith Perkins
05-15-2014, 09:19 PM
You could always sell the confirmed pair and go shopping on Kenny's next order. :)

kkdiscus
05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Just wait.