PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please......

BODYDUB
05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
I recently listed my two discus on CL. Received this email and just thought I would share it with you guys. Opinions on the email and the pic of the fish he posted would be awesome. Even if you think I am asking too much for them. I am open to advice....

TY

Email:

I raise discus and I would just point out that it’s my opinion that these are priced really high. While the Butterfly is nice, the concave about the head isn’t a desired quality. Both fish have the “bulldog” face and while some breeders are attempting to breed this, it still hasn’t really caught on. I would be willing to take the discus but not at the prices you have them listed at. Mainly for the reason that even with selective pairing, I will still reproduce those qualities in at least 50% of the spawn.

I have included a picture of my Galaxy to illustrate what I’m talking about.

Thanks

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/my_little_srt/Tanks/Galaxy_zps2618e338.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/my_little_srt/media/Tanks/Galaxy_zps2618e338.jpg.html)

Link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113968-FS-one-6-quot-Brillant-and-one-6-1-2-quot-WB-KILLEEN-TEXAS-PICK-UP-ONLY

discuspaul
05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Do you have pics of your discus ?
What size are they & how much are you asking ?
That way we can give you a meaningful answer to your question.

BODYDUB
05-14-2014, 11:29 AM
The link in at the bottom of the initial post...........

discuspaul
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Sorry - didn't notice that.
If the 3 first photos are all 6" fish, $100. each is not a high asking price - they are nice fish & likely worth that. But of course people always want to get them for less - I'd stick to that price for a while anyway. But you may eventually have to lower the price a bit.

As for the bulldog discus, that shape and contour conformity is not desirable by many, and $125. seems to be a high price which I don't believe you will achieve. Even a $100. price may not get a buyer for that one.
Hope this helps.
But best of luck to you with your sale.

DiscusLoverJeff
05-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi John,

I think selling any type or strain of discus will always be questioned. If you feel you are fair, then you need to stand firm. It will also depend on supply and demand as well. If you live in an area where there are many discus lovers, you might hold out on your price. If not a heavy area, then you can always adjust the prices accordingly.

Don't let one email discourage you. Only you know what they are worth.

Jeff

Skip
05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
that dude is a maroon.. mostly cuz of that email..

decent price.. you are not a rush to sell them..

ps.. what price did he think was what they were worth to him..

pss.. is this a guy that lives close to you

BODYDUB
05-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Sorry - didn't notice that.
If the 3 first photos are all 6" fish, $100. each is not a high asking price - they are nice fish & likely worth that. But of course people always want to get them for less - I'd stick to that price for a while anyway. But you may eventually have to lower the price a bit.

As for the bulldog discus, that shape and contour conformity is not desirable by many, and $125. seems to be a high price which I don't believe you will achieve. Even a $100. price may not get a buyer for that one.
Hope this helps.
But best of luck to you with your sale.

True that a BD discus is not desired by many, but my fsh are not BDs. As I am in the "not desired by many" category........

Hi John,

I think selling any type or strain of discus will always be questioned. If you feel you are fair, then you need to stand firm. It will also depend on supply and demand as well. If you live in an area where there are many discus lovers, you might hold out on your price. If not a heavy area, then you can always adjust the prices accordingly.

Don't let one email discourage you. Only you know what they are worth.

Jeff

Honestly, IMO less experienced discus hobbyist with poor quality fish will always question a "high" priced fish. As they are use to having 5" or smaller fish and buy from LFS. I'm not letting him discourage me, I know what I have compared to others.........

that dude is a maroon.. mostly cuz of that email..

decent price.. you are not a rush to sell them..

ps.. what price did he think was what they were worth to him..

pss.. is this a guy that lives close to you

You took the words right out of my mouth brother.......

I'm guessing this guy is in the state of TX as well and claims to be a breeder. I'm also guessing that someone on here has to know him with as many members we have in TX. But I will not put his name on a public forum. If this guy thinks that both fish are bullies then I would love to see his fish. Matter a fact, Ima play stupid and ask him for pics...........

MODS IF I AM BREAKING ANY RULES PLEASE LMK........

John_Nicholson
05-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Ask him where he is located and invite him to NADA....LOL

-john

BODYDUB
05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Ask him where he is located and invite him to NADA....LOL

-john

OMFG, LOL!!!!!!!! Thanx dude, I just burnt myself with my hot a$$ coffee.....................

Here's the email I sent him:

M***,

Thank you for the info. I was unaware that both my fish are bulldog as they were sold to me as the name I have listed. I've only been keping discus for about the past year and am always looking for more fish connections. Do you have any pics of your fish??

John

John_Nicholson
05-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Well it is always my goal to be helpful.....in the words of my grandfather......we will break that dog of sucking eggs......

-john

DiscusLoverJeff
05-14-2014, 01:43 PM
MODS IF I AM BREAKING ANY RULES PLEASE LMK........

Asking for opinions and sharing your thoughts is not breaking any rules. Always remember though, that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Second Hand Pat
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
John,

I think this is a ploy to get you to lower your price. Remember that these manners should mostly remain private. But do invite him to the show. :)

Pat

Tictok
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Well it is always my goal to be helpful.....in the words of my grandfather......we will break that dog of sucking eggs......

-john
Priceless...! ;)

Discus-n00b
05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Agree with the majority that dude is crazy. And that's one heck of a round about way to get lower prices. What happened to just making an offer? Hey that price is a bit to steep for me, would you take X? No stupid email involved. You have nice fish, don't settle unless you really need the space.

nvladik
05-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Nothing better then bashing a product (general comment, not referring to the fish in question) a seller is selling with a "I am still interested" clause in there!! :) Priceless.

BODYDUB
05-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Yup, I am almost positive this guy is a registered member on here. He refereed to Kenny and David as discus suppliers on here and claims his fish are all Toby Tan. He sent me pics but once again I will not post them. He will eventually see this thread..........

Elliots
05-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I think the prices are cheap for 6" fish. That guy just wants to pay less instead of a fair price. Where can you buy any 6" Discus for $100 ? You might find some but good luck looking.

rickztahone
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Yup, I am almost positive this guy is a registered member on here. He refered to Kenny and David as discus suppliers on here and claims his fish are all Toby Tan. He sent me pics but once again I will not post them. He will eventually see this thread..........

Toby Tan? :p

CL is known for people looking for the rock bottom deal. It is difficult not to hate on these people because they always want it for less, even if you are selling at a ridiculously low price!

Stick to your guns, be hopeful that someone here may actually appreciate the value in your nice looking discus, and stop replying to the guy.

I can not say that I see much bully in either of those discus, but then again I have had this discussion with other memebers about almost all of our domestics having some form of bulldog in there somewhere, so, I am torn.

All I know, is that those are nice discus, and I would buy them for $100 if you were a local. GLWS

beastroy
05-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Post the low baller discus pics...since you started this topic and it need an ending a good one. I am wondering if he complaint 6'' fish is expensive. How is he going to spend $200 for one AAA grade discus.

I just want to have a look of toby tan quality fish.

nc0gnet0
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I recently listed my two discus on CL. Received this email and just thought I would share it with you guys. Opinions on the email and the pic of the fish he posted would be awesome. Even if you think I am asking too much for them. I am open to advice....

TY

Email:

I raise discus and I would just point out that it’s my opinion that these are priced really high. While the Butterfly is nice, the concave about the head isn’t a desired quality. Both fish have the “bulldog” face and while some breeders are attempting to breed this, it still hasn’t really caught on. I would be willing to take the discus but not at the prices you have them listed at. Mainly for the reason that even with selective pairing, I will still reproduce those qualities in at least 50% of the spawn.

I have included a picture of my Galaxy to illustrate what I’m talking about.

Thanks

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/my_little_srt/Tanks/Galaxy_zps2618e338.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/my_little_srt/media/Tanks/Galaxy_zps2618e338.jpg.html)

Link
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113968-FS-one-6-quot-Brillant-and-one-6-1-2-quot-WB-KILLEEN-TEXAS-PICK-UP-ONLY

Interesting thread. I happen to agree with most of what the guy that emailed you stated. However, I am not crazy about the way he went about trying to acquire the fish your trying to sell at a lower price. Should have just offered you less money and left it at that.

Trying to determine what a fish is worth is very subjective, I would not pay what your asking, but that is just my opinion as it pertains to my personal tastes. I find it curious however that he speaks of himself as a breeder, and goes on to explain the troubles of using these fish for breeding stock. A good breeder that felt as if he does would just pass altogether because the effort and time needed to breed the qualities out of the line he finds undesirable would be much more costly that simply just acquiring fish that did not posses these qualities in the first place, therefore, I am confused by his bargaining tactics.

That being said, IMO both fish do exhibit high body genetics, and the butterfly head is not of a desirable shape. If the fish were mine, and I was selling them I would value the galaxy at around $60-$75 and the butterfly at around $40. I would consider using the galaxy in a breeding program, whereas the butterfly would be nothing more than a "pet".

rickztahone
05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Interesting thread. I happen to agree with most of what the guy that emailed you stated. However, I am not crazy about the way he went about trying to acquire the fish your trying to sell at a lower price. Should have just offered you less money and left it at that.

Trying to determine what a fish is worth is very subjective, I would not pay what your asking, but that is just my opinion as it pertains to my personal tastes. I find it curious however that he speaks of himself as a breeder, and goes on to explain the troubles of using these fish for breeding stock. A good breeder that felt as if he does would just pass altogether because the effort and time needed to breed the qualities out of the line he finds undesirable would be much more costly that simply just acquiring fish that did not posses these qualities in the first place, therefore, I am confused by his bargaining tactics.

That being said, IMO both fish do exhibit high body genetics, and the butterfly head is not of a desirable shape. If the fish were mine, and I was selling them I would value the galaxy at around $60-$75 and the butterfly at around $40. I would consider using the galaxy in a breeding program, whereas the butterfly would be nothing more than a "pet".

Good to hear it from someone who breeds.

However, I believe the "Galaxy" discus was the gentleman offering the lower offer, and not the OP. From the link, I only saw a 6" brilliant and a 6.5" White Butterfly.

nc0gnet0
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
My bad......meant to say brilliant, not galaxy in my reply.

rickztahone
05-14-2014, 08:15 PM
My bad......meant to say brilliant, not galaxy in my reply.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

GeauxDiscus
05-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Just like Tony Roma's is a place for ribs, Craig's List is a place for morons.

CHEMAC
05-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Nice fish i give you 200.00 for both if i lived close to you.

Second Hand Pat
05-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Post the low baller discus pics...since you started this topic and it need an ending a good one. I am wondering if he complaint 6'' fish is expensive. How is he going to spend $200 for one AAA grade discus.

I just want to have a look of toby tan quality fish.

John, please do not post the CL guys pictures here. It potentially opens a can of worms which is NOT in the best interests of the forum. Again, these manners should be handled privately.
Pat

BODYDUB
05-15-2014, 03:19 PM
John, please do not post the CL guys pictures here. It potentially opens a can of worms which is NOT in the best interests of the forum. Again, these manners should be handled privately.
Pat

Yes sir..........

tonytheboss1
05-15-2014, 08:19 PM
AS others have stated, you've got nice fish at a fair price. I would not even entertain the ravings of a lunatic. Yes, they are entitled to their opinion but that don't make it worth listening to. Stick to your guns John. Sorry I'm not closer. "T"

beastroy
05-16-2014, 01:05 AM
John,

I think this is a ploy to get you to lower your price. Remember that these manners should mostly remain private. But do invite him to the show. :)

Pat

Pat ,

By asking John to invite this dude to the show not only he will not pay for the admission fees and you might get to bring lots of opened can of worms with you back home.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BODYDUB
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Well, looks like I have a potential buyer coming to pick up these fish MON. Thanx for all the support by all!!!!!!

OC Discus
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
John,

When talking with Pat you should be like Radar on Mash and at least say "Maam Sir"

Yes sir..........

BODYDUB
05-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Annnnnnd sold..................

Rudustin
05-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk