PDA

View Full Version : Removing eggs?

judijetson
05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
I have a pair that laid eggs and am wondering if it's okay to remove the eggs to help keep the peace in the tank?
I'll be moving new discus from qt in a week or so also and don't want to place them in a tank where discus are guarding eggs.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

DiscusLoverJeff
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Judi,

Unless you know how to artificially raise them, it won't be a good idea. If the pair are in their own tank, let them try and raise them. If this is a community tank, then you will not have great success.

judijetson
05-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Jeff, I'm not trying to artificially raise the eggs. I've managed to have 3 paired discus out of eight in my community tank. I've never removed the eggs previously because I didn't know if it would upset the pair but
I would think the last thing I would want to do is add new discus to a tank with a pair guarding eggs as I wouldn't want the new fish to be stressed.
Normally the eggs are eaten by either the discus or the tetras but that takes a couple days...

dennin7418
05-16-2014, 02:33 PM
How big is the tank and how many discus?

judijetson
05-16-2014, 02:55 PM
135 gallon reef ready with 40 gallon sump. 8 discus with 4 in qt.

DonMD
05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Sure, I've removed eggs from parents, just lifted the cone out and scraped them out in the sink. The parents deal with it, and usually spawn in a week or two. I don't think it's a big deal. Give it a try.

judijetson
05-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Awesome Don, thank you....just didn't want them to be too miffed at me :D