PDA

View Full Version : De-worming my discus and tank mates

I Am Aquarius
05-19-2014, 12:04 AM
Hi, i'm new to this forum, and would like some advice on how to de-worm my discus. I've had three for approximately one year and just acquired a new blue diamond. I have been reading and see that I should de- worm Discus and it has never been done. Although they all seem healthy, one has the beginnings of pop Eye and it may be due to the new tank set up, but would like to de-worm just to be safe. I have started Prazi pro liquid form (Hikari) yesterday, but the directions are vague. It says 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons, but I've read Discis require a bigger dose. Anyway, I added 40 mL to my 90 gallon planted aquarium containing other fish and think I overdosed. I think it should have been 20 mL. Anyway I am thinking I will wait five days and then do a water change and put the carbon back in my filters and be done. My water parameters are excellent, zero ammonia zero nitrites, and nitrates are low since the tank has been running only two months. Fish are acting normal, eating like wolves :fish::fish::fish:and all appears good. Am I okay? Any advice from you Discus pros would be greatly appreciated:o

Len
05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi Kathryn, welcome to Simply. While you did dose almost double the required amount, it won't cause any harm. You would have to exceed the dosage by quite a bit more before it would be toxic, but that being said there really isn't a need to treat for worms unless you have reason to believe they are present. If you've had the fish for some time and they are eating and looking healthy, really just give them clean water and enjoy them.

I Am Aquarius
05-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks Len for the advice:) I see some short stringy brown poo coming from all of them, a bit of lighter (mucous?) through it, but not white, and not long. I read this could be some other type of worm (Camellanus), and my oldest discus has shown some narrowing of his forehead and a slight amount of pop eye, even though he eats ferociously. If i'd asked sooner, maybe it wouldn't have been advised then:( anyway, in 2 days i'll do a water change and put the carbon back in and be done with it.
Thanks again!

Len
05-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Post some pictures and you will get a better idea of what you're looking at. If in fact it is Camellanus, prazi isn't going to do anything for it. Prazi is mainly for tapeworm.

I Am Aquarius
05-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi Len, I have some pics from today from my red melon but I can't post them so you can have a closer look:( Are these rules, or am I doing something wrong?

Len
05-21-2014, 09:55 PM
sorry, I didn't think of that. It's because you only have a few posts. Keep bumping the thread and you'll get there soon (10 posts I believe)

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Ok, well I treated with prazi pro for 4 days only (not 5-7) because on day 4 I noticed my fish were stressed and decided enough meds I'm not sure they even have worms! So I did a 40% water change and put the carbon back in my filters. The next morning some were at the surface and were breathing rapidly. I removed mondo grass that smelled like a swamp (found out it's non aquatic:/) and did another water change 30%. When I got home from work 7 hours later ammonia or nitrite spike again! Fish stressed and breathing very rapidly although my API test kit showed 0 readings for both but could tell there was a problem. Did another 30% WC. Next morning 2 small fish dead, so I added to the tank couple capfuls of prime, 1/2 bottle of stability, stresscoat, salt and an airstone. That helped a lot, and they are over it now, back to normal:) I wonder if prazipro messed my bb? I up and running 2 1/2 months with relatively low bio load.
Then that evening I see a long white poo coming from my red melon! Something i've never seen before. Got pics, looks like tapeworm but not sure. Could it be dead after the deworming and Melon head is just expelling a dead worm? Couldn't catch it to examine if it was dead or alive (yuck!)

Len
05-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Just keep bumping this thread to get your post count up and you'll be able to post some pictures. Does it look like it's segmented or just a long stringy piece of feces?

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Definitely segmented, I have a clear pic of it. It reached about 1 1/2 inches and hung there for a few hours, fish is perfectly fine in every way though. Strong, active not skinny at all. No bulge in his belly...

Len
05-22-2014, 02:36 PM
can you post a link to the picture?

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Not sure how to do that. But you mean bumping as in keep posting right?

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 04:30 PM
I should add that the day I started prazi pro I also soaked 2 feedings (1day) in metro... I stopped because I know it's harsh, possibly on my bb, and again, didn't know if they needed it. I'll be away in Europe for a week leaving in 9 days, and need my tank stable while i'm gone, and no one here who can do wc's if needed.

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Two more...

I Am Aquarius
05-22-2014, 04:37 PM
One more...

I Am Aquarius
05-24-2014, 08:46 PM
This was the beginning of a strange poo. Next pic shows how long it got! Any ideas on what to do next would be appreciated:) he's happy and eating great!

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p498/Kitkat9902/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsffef0108.jpg (http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/Kitkat9902/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsffef0108.jpg.html)

I Am Aquarius
05-24-2014, 08:51 PM
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p498/Kitkat9902/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps098a8842.jpg (http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/Kitkat9902/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps098a8842.jpg.html)

These are the pics of the red melon I was talking about.. Haven't been around much to see any more poo from them. I've read this might have been the dead worm at the end of treatment. I did do 4 days double dose of prazipro...what do you think?

pcsb23
05-27-2014, 05:05 AM
I think your phone needs charging ;)

Seriously that doesn't look like a worm, just intestinal lining to me. If it is feeding now it should be turning a more normal colour.

I Am Aquarius
05-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Haha, yea by evening i've usually exhausted my phone, I zoomed in and took a screenshot for an up close and personal look lol :p
Thanks for the reply, i've been worried... I'll keep watch and hopefully all is good now:)
Cheers!
Kathryn