PDA

View Full Version : Suitability of Koralia Circulation & Wave Pump & Hydor Pump Controller for Discus

Greg Adamson
05-19-2014, 12:52 AM
I have a 110 gallon aquarium with 14 Discus that are almost full grown 4-5" at this time and I have set up my tank with a glass bottom to make cleaning efficient. I've been doing a 50% water change once a week and mid-week I siphon off about 15 gallons of debris off the glass bottom of the tank. Someone recently suggested I would get much better water circulation and enable my Eheim Canister filter to capture much more of the waste if I used (2) Koralia Circulation & wave pumps coordinated by the Hydor Smart Wave Controller which can adjust the two different pumps to either alternating or synchronizing them with exchange times between 5 seconds, 1 minute, a few minutes and 6 hours (more useful for reef salt water fish aquarium to reflect the change in the tides.) Has anybody used this product with any success? Does it stress the Discus? Is having a current in the aquarium a good or bad thing? The two units have an individual flow rate of 850gph. I wanted to get some feedback before I actually integrate these into my aquarium. Good idea or bad idea. Feedback is much appreciated. I've only had Discus for less than 1 year, but in that time I've only lost one of my fish. I recently had an algae bloom that I ended by adding an in-line Eliminator 18 Watt Aquatop on my return line after going through the Eheim pro 3E 2076 Canister Filter. It completely cleared the dark green murky water to crystal clear in less than six days.