View Full Version : Discus Not Eating, Plz Help!

farzadkavari
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus (red turq) not eating, looks ok (not dark), swims mostly at the bottom and likes to hide often. I have no idea what started it, these discus were purchased 1 month ago from Hans and were all eating good till one of them stopped eating 2 weeks ago, He seems to have no interest in the food that he was eating before the problem.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Not dark, likes to hide, a bit bloated for a fish that hasn't eat in 2 weeks but not extremely bloated. Fins look a bit clamped at times but not consistent.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
I put him in quarantine 10 gallon tank and did metro for 6 days with temps of 88 degrees. After putting him back in the regular tank he did not show much improvements.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
90 gallon, 10 Discus (different sizes)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
60% WC every couple of days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Been running for 3 years with bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
I do not age my water, never been an issue as my discus got used to it.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86___

- ph __7.2___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nope, this fish with the problem was added along 3 other discus about 1 months ago, All were originally doing well until recently this one started to act up.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Skip
05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
so you added fish you Bought from HANS.. 1 month ago.. straight into your tank with 6 other discus?

are there other fish in there.>

farzadkavari
05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
so you added fish you Bought from HANS.. 1 month ago.. straight into your tank with 6 other discus?

are there other fish in there.>

Yes that would be correct. I went and picked up the fish locally. Originally there were all eating great. They still are doing very well except this one.

Skip
05-19-2014, 05:13 PM
right off the top.. i would say your existing fish got your new fish sick.. from my experience.. i have seen it take about 4-6 weeks for me to see something is wrong..

if you want to RULE BLOAT.. use 2 tabelspoons of EPSON SALT.. per 10 gallons.. BLOAT should go away in less than a DAY..

if NOT.. it is something else INSIDE..

farzadkavari
05-19-2014, 05:16 PM
right off the top.. i would say your existing fish got your new fish sick.. from my experience.. i have seen it take about 4-6 weeks for me to see something is wrong..

if you want to RULE BLOAT.. use 2 tabelspoons of EPSON SALT.. per 10 gallons.. BLOAT should go away in less than a DAY..

if NOT.. it is something else INSIDE..

I did use Epsom salt for 2 days when I was doing the metro in hospital tank. It has not been effective as it is slightly bloated still. What else could be inside? tape Worms? I'm thinking of putting him back in the quartine tank again. What do you suggest as the next best med to use?

Skip
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
ok.. i see..

well. i don't like to give out MED advice.. but if i am guessing.. its bacterial..and KANAMYCIN maybe the course i would be going in..

if its a bladder infection.. it may not go away.. so it could be permanent..

farzadkavari
05-19-2014, 05:47 PM
ok.. i see..

well. i don't like to give out MED advice.. but if i am guessing.. its bacterial..and KANAMYCIN maybe the course i would be going in..

if its a bladder infection.. it may not go away.. so it could be permanent..

I think Kanamycin makes scense as I've been researching it. I found this from a user that posted it. It seems to fit the bill at the moment. Is there any other alternative meds for Kanamycin? I am having hard time finding some at the LFS.

Kanacyn, Kanamycin by Ardan Huck June 14, 2003

I have used this for discus with internal bacterial infections (bloat that is unresolved by epsom salt) as indication by swollen abdomen. It can also be used for pop eye (protruding eyes due to internal bacterial infection)

I have used it at the following dose.
Day 1= 2 capsules per 10 gal water (150 mg per capsule)
Day 3 = 1 capsule per 10 gal water
day 5 = 50 % wc, then one capsule per 10 gal water
day 7, day 9 and day 11 = repeat day 5

Temp 82 F.

I have added epsom salt in conjunction with the Kanacyn at 2 tblsp/10 gal water on day 1. (this is a laxative and can help relieve constipation)

Do not use carbon in the filter during medication use as carbon removes the medication.
This med does not usually affect the biological filter. Your results may vary depending on water conditions. If it does the filter will return very quickly once normal water changes are resumed and med discontinued.

rickztahone
05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Keep in mind, if you are dealing with worms, you will want to treat the whole tank and not just that particular discus.

I am not saying that is what this discus has, but if you do treat for that, do not target only that one fish.

Try another treatment of salt on its own, without a med in the tank.

farzadkavari
05-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind, if you are dealing with worms, you will want to treat the whole tank and not just that particular discus.

I am not saying that is what this discus has, but if you do treat for that, do not target only that one fish.

Try another treatment of salt on its own, without a med in the tank.

I just started a metro+prazipro treatment today after a WC on the whole tank. Will keep ypu updated!

farzadkavari
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Update! Day 3 of metro on the whole tank. I see some cotton looking poop strings. Would this indicate hex?

ganesan
05-25-2014, 02:36 AM
Try increasing the temperature and adding Epsom salts which acts as a purgative for the Discus.

Madaboutdiscus
05-25-2014, 11:02 AM
If it's bacterial increasing the temp will only increase the disease. How are your fish doing after metro?

~Victoria

farzadkavari
06-13-2014, 12:14 PM
If it's bacterial increasing the temp will only increase the disease. How are your fish doing after metro?

~Victoria

UPDATE! so I did 12 days of Metro on the fish that was not eating with high temps and it did not help. After that I gave him 10 solid days of Kanaplex (Kenacymin) and then swollen belly started to get smaller and had some white stringy intestine looking things coming out. He is still not eating, I believe the white stuff was stomach lining since he has not eaten in over 1 Month!! The colors look good, no clamp fins. He looks much better, Just has no interest in food. Any advise to get him back to eating again?! Thanks

pcsb23
06-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Farzad, it looks like this discus has been bombarded with meds. Not sure it would be wise to treat with anything more just now. I'd see how it goes with just clean water. Try it on a variety of foods and if you can get some live brine shrimp try that. Foods like freeze dried blackworm and frozen bloodworm can get picky fish eating again.

farzadkavari
06-15-2014, 10:06 PM
He seems to be eating a bit after a month, i fed him some fdbw