PDA

View Full Version : discus scratching on plants

kevin murray
05-20-2014, 11:58 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

my fish have been scraching there face/gills against plants for about a week now. just a couple times a day. I'm suspecting gill flukes again but their breath rate seems normal

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

scratching on plants, they also flick there top and bottom fins, like they have flees

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

over a month ago they finished a 21 day treatment with prazi pro" health aid" at recomended dose 2.5 mg/l for what I think were gill flukes. I tried prazi again for 5 days when they started scratching and it didn't do anything.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 us gallon,
five 3 inch discus
3 dwarf gourami(also scratching and they wern't with the discus when they had flukes and they were fine before)
3 mystery snails
4 nerite snails
4 panda corys

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

tank has been running for 4 months, 2-3 inches of gravel, a few plants and rootwood

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

aged for 8-12 hours, no swing

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82

- ph _____ 6.7

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____100% tds 90

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I got a microscope today and took a scraping off the outside of the fish. I could't find anything that looked like a parasite. but did see what look like eggs. heres a video. I'm thinking about getting some finquel ms-222 to sedate one and do a gill scraping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8f7a3q6_1s&feature=youtu.be
I also got some potasium permanganate, just trying to find out what I have or if I have anything first. do these look like eggs in the video? and should I do a gill scraping or just wait and see? thanks!

pcsb23
05-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Nothing in that vid that suggests eggs. Doesn't help when we don't know the mag either.

If you haven't been shown how to take samples from the gills then don't - you will only cause damage. Whilst I'm happy to do a gill snip on something like a koi, it is far more challenging and dangerous (to the fish) on a discus. MS-222 is not to be messed with either.

kevin murray
05-21-2014, 02:28 AM
thanks paul, mag is 40x and swiches to 100x at 25 sec. I'll just wait for a while, they seem very healthy. but something is definatly itching them

trungnguyen
05-21-2014, 03:09 AM
There could be some dirty stuff are stuck underneath of gravel. Try to vacuum the gravel more often if you want to keep the gravel. 2-3 inches of gravels are too much. Discus needs clean water, IMO

Trung.

kevin murray
05-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks Trung, I vacuum the gravel every time I change the water(every day right now) so it stays very clean. but I think tonite I'll move some gravel and scrap a spot and put that under the scope to see if anything is there.

kevin murray
05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
I could't find anything under the gravel, but I scraped the bottom of my water resivoir and found this. magnification is 40x and switches to 100x at 40 seconds. I clean out out the bucket once a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIiLN0Miooc&feature=youtu.be