PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking of upgrading to a 75 gal

scrappinjaime
05-21-2014, 03:01 AM
First question, the length is the same as a 55 gal, the width is about 6" deeper. Is it worth forgetting the 75 since the would have the same length to swim in?

Second, would you go for a pre-drilled tank with the sump under neath of it? I've always felt that the big space behind the black cover where the tubes are, took up a lot of real estate for the fish to swim around in. I was thinking two large hob's not sure which ones yet.

So what is everyone's thoughts? Thank you

Bill63SG
05-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Get the 75,more surface area,more water,better for fish.And if your doing discus,1 hob is enough.If you feel your getting a dead spot in the tank,add an airstone.Discus prefer slower moving water,2 hob,large you say,could be too much.

Second Hand Pat
05-21-2014, 08:09 AM
IMO a 75 is way better then a 55, more water plus a bit more room and depth for the fish to enjoy. I am personally a sump person as it also adds to the water volume, gives you a place to hide equipment like heaters and is very flexible to work with as far is filtration media.

adapted
05-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Bigger is always better, particularly with discus. 75 gal tanks can be had for well under $200 on sale at the big chains. A 55 is a marginal tank for adult discus... there's just barely room for the minimal number of fish that makes a stable group. And I second the sump plan. Have your tank drilled (at least 1.75" hole for a one inch bulkhead... I already wish mine were bigger) add a used thirty gallon or so underneath and you never have to look at heaters or sponges.

Elliots
05-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Before you buy a 75 see how much room you have and how much money you have. Get the biggest you can fit and afford. If you get a 75 and want to upgrade to say a 125 you have to buy almost everything over again.

scrappinjaime
05-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I decided on a 75 :). I was unsure about going with pre-drilled. Makes me nervous about leaks. Is a sump really that much better? If I did hob what would you recommend? Thanks everyone.

Bill63SG
05-25-2014, 12:29 PM
I would do 1 aquaclear ac110 or 2 aquaclear ac70's.And get the extra filter tube extention to get it lower down.

Keith Perkins
05-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I decided on a 75 :). I was unsure about going with pre-drilled. Makes me nervous about leaks. Is a sump really that much better? If I did hob what would you recommend? Thanks everyone.

Both methods have there advantages, it's pretty much personal choice. Good decision on going with the 75, discus do seem to like the 18 inches of depth over the 12 of a 55.

Madaboutdiscus
05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I would do 1 aquaclear ac110 or 2 aquaclear ac70's.And get the extra filter tube extention to get it lower down.

I have 2 aquaclear 110 on my 65 plus the extra extension and the ATI prefilter connected on those. When the new ones get out of qt I'll throw the sponge filter from Kenny in there too. Right now though the tank stays crystal clear. I do have one bag of purigen in one of the aquaclear too.

~Victoria

Bill63SG
05-25-2014, 02:35 PM
I have 2 aquaclear 110 on my 65 plus the extra extension and the ATI prefilter connected on those. When the new ones get out of qt I'll throw the sponge filter from Kenny in there too. Right now though the tank stays crystal clear. I do have one bag of purigen in one of the aquaclear too.

~Victoria

Personally I think 2 are over-kill plus too much flow.but if its working for you...

Madaboutdiscus
05-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Personally I think 2 are over-kill plus too much flow.but if its working for you...

The only reason I added the 2nd one is because the other one was getting older and for some reason was having trouble keeping the tank clear even with daily changes. With the new one it stays clear. I've already replaced the impeller I may need to replace the motor I'm not sure what's wrong with it but if/when it does quit I'll have the other one already cycled and ready. It was really more of an extra one on hand in case thing lol.

~Victoria

scrappinjaime
05-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Ac 110 it is. Thank you every one!

Madaboutdiscus
05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
As far as hob filters go they're one of the best.

~Victoria

Crunchy
05-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Not only length but volume of water is important as well. That is why sumps help more than just a filter but greater volume means more water stability.