PDA

View Full Version : NICESt and Most red WILD DISCUS?

dkeef
05-22-2014, 05:24 PM
which are some of the most nicest and most red wild discus strain?

im interested in alenquer reds. how are they?

beastroy
05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
I love the two red discus on Simply Discus logo ...best ever!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dkeef
05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Cupiera reds are my fav ones. But alenquer reds are available locally and online.

dkeef
05-22-2014, 07:56 PM
http://youtu.be/CQhNJaRPvIg

This is what i want. Where can i find one?

Larry Bugg
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Afraid you are going to have to make a trip to Japan to get some like that. No joke!! The nicest and closet to that will be from Mark Chen (Discus Origins). Unfortunately wild discus season is over now and you won't be able to get any till next season.

dkeef
05-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Im counting to get them in fall. But be ready for it larry.
So one in video is wild?
Does john ever carry those kind of reds?

zachawry
05-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Afraid you are going to have to make a trip to Japan to get some like that. No joke!! The nicest and closet to that will be from Mark Chen (Discus Origins). Unfortunately wild discus season is over now and you won't be able to get any till next season.

Hey! I'm in Japan and new to discus. Is there a particularly good discus outlet in Japan? I'd love to know about it.

Thanks.

Larry Bugg
05-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Hey! I'm in Japan and new to discus. Is there a particularly good discus outlet in Japan? I'd love to know about it.

Thanks.

I can't help you with outlets in Japan. I can only tell you that the best of the best wild discus go to Japan. They are willing to pay the price so they get them. You could expect to pay several thousand US dollars for just one of the nicest wilds. Americans aren't willing to put out that kind of money so they don't come here.

Im counting to get them in fall. But be ready for it larry.
So one in video is wild?
Does john ever carry those kind of reds?

This is a question that I hate to give an answer to but that being said I will give you my personal opinion as a buyer. Understand first that I have purchased a LOT of wilds from John and I have purchased a good number of wilds from Mark. I've made three different purchases from John this season and two from Mark. I was very happy with every order and will continue to purchase from both Sponsors. My expectations were more than met but my expectations were not the same with each order and the price I paid was not the same for every order.

Brazil has become VERY strict with the exportation of wild tropical fish and discus are not an exception to this. There are only a handful of major exporters of wild discus. I think it may be only 3. These exporters collect the discus and then sort them. The nicest go for a very high price and we don't see them here in the states. They then have a couple of very nice grades of discus that they single out and ship to individual customers. Then the remainder of the discus are sold to wholesalers. At least this is my understanding of how it works.

John doesn't import his discus direct from the exporter. Sometimes he will have some very nice wilds available from his source and sometimes they will be more average. You know the old adage .....you get what you pay for, in most cases I'm a believer of that. If you watch John's postings you will see that he will have a pretty big range of prices sometimes. That range can be a pretty good indicator. Check out this group I got from John this year. I think they are exceptional but they were also some of the most expensive that I have seen John sell.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112240-220-Wild/page8

Again, I believe you get what you pay for. Now here is a group of Blues that I got from John this season. Again, I am very pleased with the discus but I paid a lot less for these guys and my expectations were not as high as they were with the first group.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112240-220-Wild/page4

Anyone that has kept wilds I think will say that both groups are nice wilds but a big difference in price and the quality of the more expensive reds is apparent.

Earlier in this thread you asked where you could get wilds like the ones in the video and I told you your best choice would be Mark. The reason I said this is because Mark imports directly from one of the best exporters in Brazil and he knows in advance what he is getting and what the quality will be. Mark has set his importing business up with the goal of importing only the highest quality he can get. He does not have a wide range in prices for this reason and his prices will usually be higher than what you will pay for John's. But he is getting discus that the exporter has singled out as the better quality and not sent to the wholesalers. If you want the best quality you can get and the price isn't the issue then this is your best bet.

It really boils down to what my wants and expectations are and what I'm willing to pay. I've done both and I'm very happy with both and will probably buy from both again. I would like a 220 full of greens next year......................

beastroy
05-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Lets set up a trip to catch some wild discus at the Amazon river for the Cupiera reds.

rickztahone
05-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Good insight Larry. Good to know

dkeef
05-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Larry excellent advice. Thanks

I have a guy local here who is a biologist and does research in brazil by collecting wild fish including discus and brings here.
Wonder if he can get me some real nice ones. He collects himself.

rickztahone
05-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Larry excellent advice. Thanks

I have a guy local here who is a biologist and does research in brazil by collecting wild fish including discus and brings here.
Wonder if he can get me some real nice ones. He collects himself.

Forget that! Ask him if you can join the guy!

Larry Bugg
05-22-2014, 11:08 PM
NOT going to happen IMO. As I mentioned earlier, the Brazilians have become VERY protective of their fish. If you are interested in some wild greens then you might look into a Peru trip. There are many available and with the right licenses you can bring fish back but it isn't the same in Brazil and if it is the really nice reds you are interested in then that is where you have to go. Check it out and I think you will find this to be the case.

zachawry
05-23-2014, 01:41 AM
I can't help you with outlets in Japan. I can only tell you that the best of the best wild discus go to Japan. They are willing to pay the price so they get them. You could expect to pay several thousand US dollars for just one of the nicest wilds. Americans aren't willing to put out that kind of money so they don't come here.

Ah. That makes sense. Japanese people are usually pretty strict about saving, then somehow willing to shell out insane amounts of money for "the best" of something.

Thx.

beastroy
05-23-2014, 05:40 AM
Anything is possible if.....just like Larry bugs said need to pay top $$$....offer the the seller double whatever the Japanese is offering then the package will arrive at your door... is as simple as that.

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Well perhaps not so easy. First you need all the licenses, permits and an agent to import fish into the US. Next you need to convince one of the Basilian exporters to set aside the fish you want with a minimum box number then there is shipping, agent fess etc. Mark of Discus Origins is the one to ask about this.

beastroy
05-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Pat,

That's why I said offer to the seller, not to me. Glad to know who to go to now for wild rare discus.

dkeef
05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
ok heres another issue i heard about. as we all know discus pathogens can be transmitted thru air via moisture.
i have heard horror stories where a wild one wiped out the domestics in same room even tho water never touched each other directly.
how common is this and is it something to really worry about?

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2014, 03:51 PM
It is always recommended to QT in a different part of the house whether the fish are wild or domestic.

Skip
05-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks.

Wanatabe

English Site
http://www42.tok2.com/home/taquadiscus/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/shuichi.watanabe.39

dkeef
05-24-2014, 04:21 PM
guys how red is alenquer red compared to cuipera?

Larry Bugg
05-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Alenquer is a region of Brazil, a rather large region. Cuipeua is a lake in the Alenquer region so technically a Cuipeua is a Alenquer red.

http://www.maplandia.com/brazil/para/alenquer/cuipeua/

aquadon2222
05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Come to the NADA show here in Austin in June - you'll see fish that you'd have a hell of a time finding online!