PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the brand if an aquarium matters?

scrappinjaime
05-24-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm looking at a larger tank and was wondering about different brands. Does it matter ? What do you recommend?

Crunchy
05-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Some chinese brands have very thin glass/silicon and may be prone to breaking apart. For large tanks ensure glass and silicon are good and thick.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Tapatalk

beastroy
05-24-2014, 07:57 AM
What size large tanks do you want to get? Is it a glass tank or acrylic tank that you are intrested in? Answer all this question then I can give you some idea.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

kkdiscus
05-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Not sure about USA, but most people here in Malaysia custom made large aquarium (5 feet, 6 feet,...etc.), and normally the glass thickness is 10mm or 12mm.

Most aquarium makers are experienced to recommend the safe glass thickness and design.

ronald sherman
05-24-2014, 11:27 AM
TOO be honest I've been buying fish tank's all my life current have 5 of them running 3 at my sister apt 5 door' s from where I live and 3 here in my apt 1-75 gallon tank 1-65 gallon high tank and being on SSD, I'd never be able too afford the price of new tank's stand's etc, all my canister filter's are new,heater's and pump's all new but tank's, stand, hood, light's etc are all bought from CL, and never had 1 leak, it's not very uncommon for someone thinking of going into salt, water, discus or just fish and listen's too know 1 but lfs, they all die then 6-12 month or then keep it in garage for 2 yr's then decides they can use the space for something productive, my advise would be look on cl, take aft getting it home sertilize everything your going too get with bleach then safe and your be amazed at how much bigger tank you can afford

ronald sherman
05-24-2014, 11:28 AM
btw sorry 4 going on so long

scrappinjaime
05-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Perfect, I'm going to look around!

OC Discus
05-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Most brands should work equally well on initial setup. The only leak I've had was after moving a tank a few times. It was a kit from Petsmart that was originally a cichlid tank. Moved and converted to salt water. This tank just started leaking at the seam and lost about 1/3 of the water on the floor. I bought it new, so I think moving it was the problem. Cheaper kits may have thinner glass and seals that can separate more easily than better made tanks.

Some tanks sold separate from a kit come with a lifetime warranty. If you plan to move it very much this could be a good option. I bought one of these from Petsmart for a quarantine tank, and the silicone is about 3 times thicker than my other tanks. I think it is Marineland.

Another consideration is if you want to drill the tank. Some can be drilled and some can't.

HeidinJohn
06-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately even a well built looking tank can leak. Years ago we had purchased a 150G from a local tank shop, very thick glass, thick beads of silicone, but after about 18 month when we were out for the day, a seal stated to leak at the bottom of the tank in the middle & we lost everything (was a salt water with live rock). This was outside of their 1 year warranty, so very SOL!

Picked up a 50G on CL a few years ago & have had to replace 4 of the 6 side seals over about a years time. (kind of a bow front design, but with straight sides).

We have also had great luck with some other CL finds, a 75, then traded up to an 80, sold that after a few years & now have a really strong 120G that is our Discus tank. Have had this running for a few months & so far-so good with the tank. (I believe it is the GlassCages.com 120G for $401 base, but we got it for about a $300 discount over new from some former breeders and a nice wet/dry)

Also if you are looking for some smaller ones in the US, I think Petco is having their $1 a gallon sale starting on the 29th of June - July 12th on Tetra open tanks.