PDA

View Full Version : Swim Bladder Due to Meds?

gardenho
05-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I would like to know how others have treated non-constipation related swim bladder. I have researched some, & read the words of doom... But ever the optimist...
I have an adult Discus that developed white fluffy poo & then quit eating. I also noted holes in the head that were growing fast. In QT, raised temp & added salt, with daily water changes. In the past I have lost fish when raising the temp, so this time I did so very slowly over the course of 4 days to 95F. I then tried Kanaplex, & the fish began eating & the poo returned to normal on day 3. On day 5 the fish was head standing. I discontinued the Kanaplex in case it was a medication reaction. Since then I have continued the salt & added Epsom salt. The fish has weakened, with the body curved & eyes look slightly bulged. I do not see any lumps other than the point where the mid body curves. I have the fish in a 10 gallon tank, & made a sort of raised platform of plastic net to reduce the effort to keep upright. Lowering the water in a 10 gallon seemed risky with a heater.
Is there anything I can do? I read that someone had good results with Furan II. Your thoughts and/or suggestions?
It is very sad to see this once vibrant Discus deteriorate so.

Julie

pcsb23
05-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Furan 2 would not be a good choice for swim bladder (if that is what this is). It isn't well absorbed, unfortunately you have used the med of choice, i.e. kanamycin sulphate. Sometimes the best course of action is to cull the fish, sorry to be blunt.

gardenho
05-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I can't do that... I actually got the fish to swim upright for several minutes, but it reverts within minutes. I will keep trying, considering it doesn't appear that I have anything to lose.
Thank you for your input - I do appreciate it.
Julie