PDA

View Full Version : Fluval FX6?

Everhart
05-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a 72 bow front that I plan on planting. Will the Fluval FX6 be too strong of flow for my Discus? I would like to aim for a 7-10 turn over rate so this does fit the bill. Anyone have experience with these? Is the flow adjustable?

GeauxDiscus
05-25-2014, 10:32 PM
I have a 150 gallon running an FX6, and I think the FX6 would be too strong if my tank wasn't tall. That being said, I think the FX6 would be way too much for a 72 gallon tank. I'd go a size down, or even consider just running a couple of large sponge filters. I also have a 50 gallon, and one large sponge works great in that tank.

Everhart
05-27-2014, 06:44 AM
So what type of turn over rate is really recommended? I've heard 7-10 times per hour. I just feel a sponge isn't thorough enough of filtration. It's definitely the poorest of all choices which doesn't seem good enough for Discus. Fluval G6? Eheim classic, pro?

beastroy
05-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Eheim pro 3 2180 thermal is perfect for a 75g tank.... don't just rely on canister filter only. If you are keeping discus fish, frequent water change act as a mechanical filter and is the very important even if you are just using sponge filter with an air pump.

10x per hour is for salt water fish or reef keeping and discus will do fine with a 3x to 5x turn over rate as long as you can provide them with lots clean water.

Everhart
05-27-2014, 09:11 AM
I was actually getting the x10 from a Discus breeder. Sounds great in theory, I just didn't understand how to keep the flow from being too strong for them. Sounds impossible, right? & don't worry, I'm not trying to get away from water changes by any means, I'm not new to the hobby, only to Discus. I just want the best options, I don't like to cheap out. lol Thanks for the advice! :D

du3ce
05-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I have 3 canister filter on my 75g pi pushing out 1000gph

beastroy
05-27-2014, 10:16 AM
I was actually getting the x10 from a Discus breeder. Sounds great in theory, I just didn't understand how to keep the flow from being too strong for them. Sounds impossible, right? & don't worry, I'm not trying to get away from water changes by any means, I'm not new to the hobby, only to Discus. I just want the best options, I don't like to cheap out. lol Thanks for the advice! :D

I got a few eheim filter collecting dust now, all top of the line...and they are all collecting dust now and I got the same thinking like you when I fisrt started out discus hobby but in time there is more to learn than just filtration alone.
The only time I can imagine myself using the eheim again is maybe in the future, I might setup a planted tank again and then I will put them to use again.

Everhart
05-28-2014, 09:09 AM
There is definitely a lot more to it than filtration. However, it's still a big decision. 1 that I clearly keep going back & forth about. lol

So did u switch to a sump or sponges or give up all together? Details! :P

beastroy
05-28-2014, 10:11 AM
There is definitely a lot more to it than filtration. However, it's still a big decision. 1 that I clearly keep going back & forth about. lol

So did u switch to a sump or sponges or give up all together? Details! :P

All filter are build different as far as I know and to what type of setup is to what one needs? Say for someone like you is going for a planted tank then go for a canister type of filter...but I find that canister filter intake will suck up most of the Hikari FBW that I feed to my discus and i'm not very happy with that and so is a sump filter, because some of the FBW will not sink to the bottom of the tank and before the discus even get to the FBW most is all gone and wasting food....point is I don't think they are that suitable for growing out discus fish but for adult and planted tank is great if you don't mind some the fish food get suck away by these type of filter intake and the overflow from the sump filter and that's how I see it. Not to mention buying the media floss pad this and that, I rather spend it on top of the line quality food like Hikari FBW for my discus( trust me my fish ate better than me and that all I've been feeding them ) I like to keep things simple, since life is simple why complicate our self with so many things....lol. If you are interested to learn more about what I'm doing as now....you can check it out here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?114004-My-home-made-Discus-small-hatchery-coming-soon

Also you need to ask your self if you are into discus fish or you are just using discus fish to accommodate for your planted tank...as for me I think I'm a discus fanatic! So for all this talk about filter, I still prefer to use a sponge filter for the convenience, ez to clean and last a long time and the only downside bout sponge filter is not looking to appealing in the aquarium tank...but like I said before.... i'm not in to plants and décor or aqua scape or anything like that...I'm just into my Discus fish =)
As for reducing the flow rate on the outlet of your canister filter I don't recommend it....Just go one size down or you are risking burning out the pump. Hope I have answer to all your question and enjoy your discus fish.

P.S. you can also buy fdbw from brewmaster Al.... that's another good food for your discus in a planted tank.

cb684
06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
I've used FX6 for a 55 gallon tank and my discus did fine for about one year. Nowadays I have three FX6 running in a 300g, heavily planted tank with 17 adult discus and again the discus are doing fine. I do a total of 7% water change a day using RO water. I constantly have 2 or 3 couples laying eggs...
During feeding time (2 times a day Hikari blood worms, beef heart and brine shrimp) I stop filtration for abut 20 minutes.
Here a picture of the tank:

300 full.jpg (https://www.dropbox.com/s/yo0e7koxbf7jgm2/300g.jpg)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yo0e7koxbf7jgm2/300g.jpg

yquefue
06-10-2014, 06:10 PM
I have a 72 bow front that I plan on planting. Will the Fluval FX6 be too strong of flow for my Discus? I would like to aim for a 7-10 turn over rate so this does fit the bill. Anyone have experience with these? Is the flow adjustable?

I have one FX6 my self on a 125 gallon never ahd a problem, on you case with the 72 gallon i will build a spray bar to slow the flow evenly,hope it helps.

Mia427
06-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I have one FX6 my self on a 125 gallon never ahd a problem, on you case with the 72 gallon i will build a spray bar to slow the flow evenly,hope it helps.

I have the Fx6 on my 90 gallon. I just point the output up and towards the glass. My Discus are perfectly fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagonz456
06-20-2014, 09:50 AM
I have a fx5 that won't die on a 125g tank. I use to have a fluval g6 filter and it gave me nothing but problems so I had to send it back to fluval every time I send it I would detach the hose and ship it. When they send me a new one they would send me one with a new hose and spray bar. This happened 2x so I had extra spay bars so I took a trip to lowes and pick up some adapters and now I have a spray bar for the FX5 and it works great it's like a slow river current and my fish love it. The g6 connectors/hose and adapters are sold online so you can buy them and create your own spraybar. If your really handy you can build your own spraybar with PVC. Oh and for the record the fluval G6 has to be one of the worst filter on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk