PDA

View Full Version : Three hours, thirty bucks... water change nirvana!

adapted
05-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Over the weekend I finally did a job I'd been putting off for weeks if not months. Specifically, I rerouted an unused outdoor faucet line under the house to the "fish room" window. It looks a little jury-rigged but works like a charm. Seventy-five gallon water changes now take 5 minutes to fill the water barrels (2 40-gallon Brutes plumbed together) and then ten minutes a day later to drain and fill half of a 150 gallon tank-sump combo.

My fish (8 adult wilds) are already happier and I have more regard for plumbers than before.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mcsadapted/media/ddd_zps1ca71a56.jpg.html

OC Discus
05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Nice. Life is sweeter when frustration is lower. Where did you get your wilds? Have you solved the ph swing problem?

adapted
05-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Nice. Life is sweeter when frustration is lower. Where did you get your wilds? Have you solved the ph swing problem?

All the fish came from John at Freshwater Tropicals. He seems to have a knack for sending wilds that acclimate easily... 48 hours in they rise to greet you and eat out of your hand; would never have thought wilds woud do that so quickly.

The pH drop is well under control... One of my main issues was trying to match WC water to the tank after the pH dropped down close to 6.0. With a little of Seachem's Netral Regulator in the barrels, tank ph rarely strays outside a 6.3. - 6.5 range.

OC Discus
05-27-2014, 01:42 PM
That's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicmarn1
05-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Hurrah! Want pics of the wilds though, now please:)

Loosir
05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
That a beautiful piece of driftwood BTW. Gorgeous fish.