PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and discus keeping

ced_^
05-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi fellow hobbyists!

im new to the forum. First of all, i am not a novice to fishkeeping. i have been and is still keeping a golden red tail arowana(from 10cm to today 55cm), japanese kois, goldfishes and tropical fishes.

Here is my filled in questionnaire!

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.
this is done =p

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
no experience but has done my research

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
i am thinking about a tank of 120cm x 50cm x 70cm. this equals to 420 liters and approx 92 uk gallons. However, with all the research i have done, i have not been able to find a minimum tank size or a guideline to estimate the adequate size. i have read that it is recommended to have 10g for an adult discus of 8". However, i do believe that the dimension of the aquarium is as important as the capacity of water it can hold. for example, i can make my tank 140 x 40 x 60 which will also contain 420 liters. i read that discus prefer a high tank because they move a lot from top to bottom?

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
bare bottom more easy cleaning
5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
i plan to use 2 canisters of 2400l/h. 1 canister for bio filtration and 1 for mechanical. some of you will find it too much and will create too much movement in the aquarium. do not worry, i will control the outflow and it will not affect the water movement as such that will bother the discus. 1 heater 300w and 1 air pump to add additional oxygen to the warm water
7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;
not yet
- temp _____

- tank ph _____

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
i plan to buy 10-12 small discus of 2" i have a trusted supplier
9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
to be decided. 5-7 times a day in small quantity. flakes, pellets, bloodworms, chicken heart instead of beefheart. beefheart is such a pain in the a$$ to clean lol
10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
goal is to display discus in their best condition possible and make them show off their best color

1 thing i have not been able to find is the background color to be used so that the discus can display their most vibrant color. i know that depending on the background, fish color can become dull or more vibrant. any input is highly appreciated!

thanks!

ced_^
08-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Seriously nobody after 3 months. what's the forum for then?

Frankr409
08-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Seriously nobody after 3 months. what's the forum for then?
Yea.. You might be on to something. At any rate, welcome, read, learn, use what works for you.

John_Nicholson
08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Well welcome. In your post you really did not ask any questions. What kind of response were you looking for? Unlike most new folks you seemed to have done your research and are headed in the right direction.

-john

Second Hand Pat
08-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi ced_^ and welcome to Simply. I see you plan to raising some juvies. Best to start they off in a smaller tank and move them to your display tank as they get about four inches or so. Growing them out in a smaller tank is easier with 100 WCs and with keeping the tank clean. How many discus do you wish to have in your display tank as this may determine your final tank size? My personal preferences on tank dimensions is a minimal width of 18 inches and minimal height of 20 or so inches however the final size and dimensions are very much a personal choice.
Pat

DiscusLoverJeff
08-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry if you felt slighted but as John mentioned, you did not seem to be asking questions like most new people here on SD.

If there is anything you want to know, then please feel free to ask and I guarantee you your questions will not go unanswered. Most questions get responses here within minutes.

Good luck on your new path to keeping discus. Hope all goes well.

You can also utilize the "search" feature here as most questions asked pertaining to the discus world might have already been answered for your convenience.

Tankster
08-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I just re-read this. In the end, looks like you were asking for feedback on your plans.

Sorry buddy - you are about 10 to 15 steps of most everyone else here (newbies) because you are actually doing research and being thoughtful about the fish you want to have in your tank. I am building my whole system around Discus, looks like you are doing the same.

If you do have some specific questions, there is no better group to ask than right here at Simply.

Best,
Greg

Rudustin
08-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes, must apologize for ignoring your thread! All of us on Simply aren't used to someone preparing so well and so thoughtfully before they even purchase fish! That is a compliment to you and naughty on us for not giving you feed back to your preparation for discus. I think you are doing all the right prep for such a venture. Once again compliments to you for doing all the research and continue to ask questions despite the fact that some of us won't answer as promptly as we should! LOL! Rufus

ced_^
08-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Hi guys. Sorry lol. I come again for some other pertinent questions, hope you guys can enlighten me =D. so in the end i decided to go for a dark blue background as black color would have absorbed all the lights and you would need even more watts. Now, some light cannot reach or has a limit to the depth it can reach. my tank is 120x50x70cm and lights T5 HO(high output) are recommended to be used to a max depth of around 50cm. deeper than this, the light wont reach. the next best choice is metal halide, HOWEVER, metal halide is very expensive and consumes like over 200 watts. is there a better solution? what do you guys use as lighting?

pcsb23
08-08-2014, 04:17 AM
If you are going with a bare tank then lights are whatever suits you. Not sure where you got the max depth for T5 from either, unless you have looked at some out of date planted tank material. Without getting too technical different wavelengths of light are absorbed at different depths of water, but even one T5 tube over your tank will provide more than enough light for your discus.

The colour of the background will have no significant bearing on how much light btw, it only affects what we see. Dark backgrounds will present some problems with discus strains. Pigeon bloods will tend to pepper, others will tend to be darker, however for most albino strains it can look really good imo. I still go for a pale background though.

Tankster
08-08-2014, 11:09 AM
ced,

As far as lighting goes, LED has a higher up front cost but is much more economical over time due to the very low power draw. Depending on budget, at the high end you can go with Kessil or Orphek and on the low end, Beamswork (found on ebay). Quite a few members have used the Beamswork and seem to like them. I think the Kessil and Orphek would be major overkill since you are going with a BB tank. The Beamswork would probably be ideal.

Beamswork (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-aquarium-Power-LED-600-light-lamp-90-100cm-36-40-tank-bright-hang-on-/270916086370)

Kessil (http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/aquarium.php)

Orphek (http://orphek.com/)