PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile growth issue

Ducati
05-30-2014, 08:00 AM
I have a group of 5 juvenile discus I bought approximately one month ago. Four out of the five are growing really well. I can estimate it has grown from the initial 3" to maybe past 4" in the one month time frame. The four are eating well.

BUT: I have one fish that seems to not eat much at all and in the same time frame, I don't see any observable growth in size.

Feeding: I feed 4-5 times per day consiting of beef hearts, frozen bloodworms, and FD Blackworms. Occasionally, I give them Cobalt Discus flakes (they don't seem to like it so much.

I change 90% of the water daily.

So, what's going on with that 5th discus? It doesn't appear to be bullied at all by the other four, based on my observation.

timmy82
05-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Keep it in there out of a batch you will get a runt or two and that is just how it is sometimes. Have you seen it poo ect? No bloat but just shy? 90% daily is the way to go. What is the water temp, tank size or other tank mates? sometimes you may need to bump the temp up a touch (86-88) to boost their motabalisim and it may feed better or may not??

OC Discus
05-30-2014, 09:01 AM
I have a runt in my group of six. They were all added at 2-3" and have grown to 4.5-5.5". The runt was added with two others from the same source, all the same size. Yet he has only grown about half as much as the others. Probably part genetics and part pecking order- eating less.

John_Nicholson
05-30-2014, 09:23 AM
It is 100% normal. You will almost almost always have a runt. If you remove that one another one will just become the runt.

-john

Ducati
05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Darn! Unfortunately this is one I had hope for to growing into full potential. The runt is a Hans Fire Red...:(

Swordsman
05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
I would normally remove a fish that is runted and not eating, especially if it is not a case of the other fish bullying him around. I've never had any problems with one runt being replaced by another runt. sometimes the lowest in the pecking order is picked on more but usually continues to eat and grow with the others.The big issue here sounds like it hasn't been eating even when it's had ample opportunity. I weak fish is much more susceptible to sickness/diseases. I would rather cull a single $30 fish that is not eating and will not reach it's full potential than spend a bunch more money medicating all my fish and then still losing all my other fish to some sickness/disease that a weak fish contracted. That's just me, I error on the side of caution. I can always buy a replacement.

OC Discus
05-30-2014, 02:09 PM
It is probably more pronounced when they are started out small in a group of 5 or 6. I would guess that the ratio of runts in a large grow out tank with lots of fish would be lower.

Skip
05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
RUNT and Stunted are two different things..

OC Discus
05-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Clarify this Skip

RUNT and Stunted are two different things..

timmy82
05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Runt is just one that has been given all the right conditions and good food ect but just doesn't grow or turn out the size the rest do, like the black sheep just happy on its own and in it's self.

Stunted if from poor care it hasn't grown properly to what it could have, it will be long in shape not round and big eyes for body size and plus some other undesirable traits.

Altum Nut
05-30-2014, 09:44 PM
A++ Good definition Timmy.

...Ralph

OC Discus
05-31-2014, 08:44 AM
So a runt will be smaller, like a stunted fish, but his proportions will be more like the larger fish? There was a discussion a while back about the possibility of breeding "dwarf" discus with proper proportion, just smaller in size. Someone could sell groups of runts as "dwarf discus".

twocat
05-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Good point

phyeung
06-01-2014, 03:58 AM
It is true. I have three runts in a group of ten Juvies.

It is 100% normal. You will almost almost always have a runt. If you remove that one another one will just become the runt.

-john