PDA

View Full Version : pH

Elliots
06-02-2014, 09:02 AM
In the current issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist (TFH) June, 2014 Jack Wattley states in his "Ask Jack" column on page 20, "Maintain a pH of 5.5, no higher and no lower." I am posting this so others on SD can see. He claims that you get "Vibrant coloration" at that pH. Do Discus have better color at that pH? I think everyone on SD does not think a constant pH of exactly 5.5 is necessary.

pcsb23
06-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I've never carried out any type of test or experiment to determine if there is a "magic" pH for colours, however my observations have led me to believe that at lower pH discus do indeed show more vibrant colours. I think specifying any pH that people should maintain is fraught with danger, particularly to those not familiar with water chemistry and how to manage it.

On a practical note without some fairly expensive equipment it will be nigh on impossible to maintain an exact low pH in any mature discus tank or system.

Allwin
06-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Interesting, may be vibrant colors at lower ph applies to wilds. Rather most of the domestics are adapted to higher ph these days, since they are breed/raised in higher ph.

pcsb23
06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Interesting, may be vibrant colors at lower ph applies to wilds. Rather most of the domestics are adapted to higher ph these days, since they are breed/raised in higher ph.Not in my experience, all discus I've owned have shown more vibrant colours at lower pH. I have also observed the same at shows, both from the point of discus showing more vibrant colour in lower pH and less vibrant when the pH has been higher. An example of this was at the first three British discus shows, the water was at a pH of 6.5 (I prepared the water) - when the likes of Andrew Soh, Jorg Stendker and Bernd Degen comment as well as many of the entrants, it becomes more than a one off.

nc0gnet0
06-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Not in my experience, all discus I've owned have shown more vibrant colours at lower pH. I have also observed the same at shows, both from the point of discus showing more vibrant colour in lower pH and less vibrant when the pH has been higher. An example of this was at the first three British discus shows, the water was at a pH of 6.5 (I prepared the water) - when the likes of Andrew Soh, Jorg Stendker and Bernd Degen comment as well as many of the entrants, it becomes more than a one off.

Interesting, do you think the "more vibrant colors" was actually a result of the lower ph, or, a lower TDS? IME, I have witnessed much the same thing, however PH doesn't seem to be as driving a force as lower TDS does. The most profound results are seen on pigeon bloods.

-Rick

pcsb23
06-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Interesting, do you think the "more vibrant colors" was actually a result of the lower ph, or, a lower TDS? IME, I have witnessed much the same thing, however PH doesn't seem to be as driving a force as lower TDS does. The most profound results are seen on pigeon bloods.

-RickNot entirely sure Rick, in all the cases I've seen both the TDS and pH are lower which would be a fairly natural tendency. When I have had artificially high TDS but still low pH the fish have remained vibrant, so maybe the type or cause of the TDs plays a part.

nc0gnet0
06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
In my water which is virtually liquid rock:

http://www.caledoniatownship.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=RI8by1SnvJg%3d&tabid=901

My tap is a tds of 400-500 ppm, Ph is 8.4+, discus hate it. I have quite an extensive RO setup and run my TDS down to 80-120 ppm which they love, colors are great, and the ph still clings to 8.0-8.2. Only when I lower it down into the 40-50 ppm range do I start to notice a ph swing of any significance(7.8) and only when I get below 40ppm-Ph still well above 7.6(actually closer to 30ppm) do I have good success in breeding fry (no white eggs).

It is on this I base my observations, but for all I know this could very quite a bit in someone else's water. On the plus side of things I have no chloramine and very little chlorine to deal with.

On a side note, and a bit off topic, I often see many people recommending a certain tds range for successful breeding, but most don't realize that it's not a constant specific range and has a lot to do with each individuals specific water.

-Rick

efrenvillegas
06-24-2014, 01:21 PM
I have water with 90 tds but ph of 8
Do you think i could Get some of my Discus breeding ?
Or try to change the water cosnditions ?

DISCUS STU
08-21-2014, 12:57 AM
All the older literature the books and magazines, before the internet, used to preach lower ph less 6.0. but I think that might have been a throw back to acclimating wild fish, only a guess. Recently I brought my ph down to that when treating for a bacterial infection in a hospital tank, as a bactericide, but outside of that I'd worry about a ph crash if I tried to do it with all my tanks. I'd be concerned of a crash that would bring it into the 4.0 range and that may be dangerous.

discusnutts
08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
you have to remember that that ph directly affects the relative toxicity of nitrate...

and messing with ph almost always ends in disaster.

good clean water is always best