PDA

View Full Version : Addition of Discus to new tank.

two_one_seven
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I am planning a bare bottom 55 gal tank with a hamburg mat filter. Once the tank has cycled is it safe to add the all the discus at once. Planning on a group of 6 4-5" discus purchased from a local breeder/importer and a number of tetras.

Thanks,
Brian

Elliots
06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Yes to adding the Discus. Where are the Tetras coming from? Same sorce as the Discus and the same water? If not people on SD say quarrantine.

Discusdude7
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I would add the discus to the tank as the first fish (yes it's fine to add them together) then quarantine the tetras in a separate tank (with separate equipment, etc) before adding to your discus tank. Make sure you follow proper QT procedures. You don't need to QT if from the same source as your discus as Elliots pointed out.

DonMD
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
If you get an ammonia or nitrite spike after adding the fish, then double the dose of de-chlorinator. I use Safe, many use Prime. Follow the instructions. But since you'll have cycled the tank, it won't take very long to recover from the spike. Ditto on the QT comments.

FynePrint
06-04-2014, 06:48 PM
I thought Discus eat tetras.

two_one_seven
06-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Nope. From what I have read they are actually comforting to discus. If the tetras are out and moving around the tank the discus feel safer.