PDA

View Full Version : Females fighting over a male?

judijetson
06-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Sooooo...last night I removed the egg crate that was separating my one pair of Red Cover and Albino Golden Snakeskin as their eggs had turned white and it didn't look like they would be spawning again anytime in the immediate future. The female (AGSS) made a bee line for the other side of the tank where the Blue Diamond (male) and the other AGSS (female) take up residency and decided to make it 3's a crowd. I haven't researched (yet) but it seems the females are fighting over the male. I've seen this before with males fighting over females but never vice versa.....I've attached a video, and this is the most polite fighting I've seen in my tank ever but it is still going on almost 24 hours later....I may be inserting that egg crate again as soon as I figure out which of the girls is the original pair of the male, at this point even he's getting tired of the girls :)

Is this normal? Should I just let them work it out?

http://youtu.be/oYtx6IwO_KQ

Larry Bugg
06-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Normal? Natural is probably a better word.

judijetson
06-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Larry! I tend to worry when I see something I've never noticed happening previously in the tank. Sigh of relief :)

Larry Bugg
06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
In all nature the females are looking for the best male to mate with.

Bill63SG
06-02-2014, 08:12 PM
In all nature the females are looking for the best male to mate with.

Thats what I keep telling my wife.

Nathanp
06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
I think Britney Spears has a song that says it all ;) .... "3",( http://youtu.be/oTs6oQx1WJY )

judijetson
06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Lol, you guys crack me up!

Question though...the two other pairs eggs never turn white and fuzzy but the eggs from the RC and AGSS do, is this why she has decided to show interest in another male?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Second Hand Pat
06-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Maybe the RC and AGSS and both female?

judijetson
06-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi Pat, I've never noticed the breeding tubes on the RC and I've only seen the AGSS actually laying the eggs but with my
limited knowledge of male/female sexing it is possible I'm wrong.
I'll try to get a good pic of him/her tonight and maybe you could help identify the sex.
I assumed the RC was a male due the level of aggression he displays. Lol, newbie thought, I know....

Second Hand Pat
06-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Judi, if you can witness the breeding tubes females are larger and squared off at the end and males are smaller and pointy at the end if that helps.
Pat

judijetson
06-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks Pat! I'll definitely look for that the next time I see them spawning.