PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my FIRST Discus!

JodyTowles
06-05-2014, 11:45 PM
I would first off like to start by saying that I'm SO Happy that this forum is here. There are some really smart people and all of you have helped me along the way, whether you know it or not.

After my first post, against the advice of some here I picked up my first Discus. I wanted to raise them up from fry, because I think there is something gratifying from raising them up from the beginning. After a ton of reading I found and picked up some locally from Joe Gargas. So far they are eating like crazy and doing great and I can already see them getting bigger! I'm already enjoying them more than any fish that I have ever had, they are already meeting me at the tank when it's feeding time. Im by no means an expert but I sure am gonna try to grow these things out. When I get enough posts I'll post pictures, but after reading here I really think Joe did me right and sold me 8 really nice 2" babies. Joe is great and has been crucial in helping me along the way with answering all of my questions.

I have a 75 gallon Oceanic with a wet/dry system and just set up my 30 gallon QT tank using media and water from my existing tank. Getting the nitrites down in the 75 was a nightmare at first but with a little Seachem Prime and Stability, and some time I got it done.

Getting used to doing the water changes and maintenance has been an adjustment but I now have it down to where I can do it in a very little amount of time.

Tomorrow, Im off to Sarasota to visit Marion at Florida Discus and maybe, just maybe buy some more fish.

Tictok
06-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Congratulations on your first discus!! Once bitten by the discus bug its hard to contain yourself to one tank... as many will attest to. :) Sounds like your on the right track, reading up on what the experienced here post on Simply, and above all, applying this info. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing photos!!

musicmarn1
06-06-2014, 12:17 PM
no fish better in the world, than a happy healthy discus !! its a great feeling watching them headbutt the tank asking for food and attention lol sounds like your hooked !welcome ! cant wait to see your progress here.

dragon1974
06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the MTS club.

JodyTowles
06-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks! I had a blast today at Florida Discus and can't wait to go back. Picked up 5 beautiful fish.

Nathanp
06-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks! I had a blast today at Florida Discus and can't wait to go back. Picked up 5 beautiful fish.

Super jealous as I wish I could drive to see them. It would take me a few days of driving to get there lol.