PDA

View Full Version : Exposed spine! please help!

discus795
06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I got two discus about 3 weeks ago to start out. They have been very happy and eating tons. I noticed that my maze turq had what looked like a piece of fuzz hanging off his top fin when I very first put him in my tank. I didn't think it was a fungus at the time. Now I'm regretting not paying it more attention. He now has an exposed spine and its white and fuzzy all around it with little threads coming out. He also now has three spots on his tail that are white. Nothing has changed. Water parameters have remained stable and I haven't added any new fish. He doesn't seem bothered by it. No rubbing against things and his appetite is good. I recently tried paraguard by seachem because it said it wouldn't change the water pH. I've done the proper dosage for my 60 gallon tank for two days in a row now and his top spine actually looks worse! One of the spots on his tail has kind of started to disappear. I have a 60 gallon with the two discus, 5 danios, and 5 neon tetras. I had the danios and neons for months before I had my discus and they have been fine. I usually change 50% of the water daily since the discus are young. The water is the correct temperature and dechorinated before I add it to the tank. Current parameters are GH:180, Ph:7.3(a little high but the breeder I got them from kept them at 7.0), nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5, ammonia: 0, temperature is 85-86.

Tictok
06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Paraguard is a broad-spectrum medication and in my experience not effective enough to treat an illness such as this. I had a discus recently that had similar symptoms that I treated with Furan 2 and 75% daily water changes- but I'm not certain this is exactly what your discus is exhibiting. It didn't have an exposed spine, however... and cant really see that expressed in the photo?? Eventually the experts here on Simply will respond and impart some advise that will help you. . Do you have a quarantine tank that you can put the fish in the meantime? A much more effective and efficient treatment in a tank by itself.

discus795
06-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Paraguard is a broad-spectrum medication and in my experience not effective enough to treat an illness such as this. I had a discus recently that had similar symptoms that I treated with Furan 2 and 75% daily water changes- but I'm not certain this is exactly what your discus is exhibiting. It didn't have an exposed spine, however... and cant really see that expressed in the photo?? Eventually the experts here on Simply will respond and impart some advise that will help you. . Do you have a quarantine tank that you can put the fish in the meantime? A much more effective and efficient treatment in a tank by itself.

Well in this picture there is white fuzz all around the spine. The fuzz came off during a water change I just did and now the spine is clearly shown. I might could upload another picture later. I just did a 75% water change. I don't have a quarantine tank. I would prefer to treat in the 60 gallon if possible since my house is small and it would be a financial investment to buy another small tank with filtration right now. Did your discus recover with the use of Furan 2 and the water changes?

discus795
06-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Here is another picture. Hopefully a little better of his spine.

pcsb23
06-06-2014, 11:20 AM
If the issues on the tail are improving, then I'd continue as you are for now. I'm not overly familiar with paraguard but it appears to be working. The fact the white fuzz has gone is good, but you must maintain good water quality. Keep an eye on it and post back if it changes at all.

Just a note re pH, don't get too hung up on it, a 0.3 change from 7 is irrelevant.

discus795
06-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I have quarantined him in a 10 gallon tank and raised the temperature to 90 degrees with some melafix. He seems to slowly be getting better. I will continue this treatment. He has a great appetite and eats tons but he seems so skinny. Is this normal for a juvenile discus? I feed blood worms, beef heart omega one super color flakes, and kelp flakes.

discus795
06-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I just bought some angel plus deworming flakes. Hopefully this will solve the skinny problem and he will grow!

pcsb23
06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Why 90f? That won't help it heal. As for the melafix, well it probably won't do any harm.

discus795
06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Why 90f? That won't help it heal. As for the melafix, well it probably won't do any harm.

90F is to kill off bacteria causing the growth on his fins and body. I was advised by the woman I bought him from who has been keeping discus for 25 years and shows them, so I trust her advice. It's kinda the same concept of humans getting a fever to fight infection. The temperature doesn't necessarily help him heal but it kills the bacteria causing the problem. The melafix is to promote healing and regrowth of the fins.

nc0gnet0
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
The lady is wrong, and melafix is useless.

discus795
06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
The lady is wrong, and melafix is useless.
Ok well suggestions then?

discus795
06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I posted on here to try and get advice on how to help my discus from someone with experience. I'm mostly being told that what I'm currently doing is wrong which really doesn't help me much.

pcsb23
06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
90F is to kill off bacteria causing the growth on his fins and body. I was advised by the woman I bought him from who has been keeping discus for 25 years and shows them, so I trust her advice. It's kinda the same concept of humans getting a fever to fight infection. The temperature doesn't necessarily help him heal but it kills the bacteria causing the problem. The melafix is to promote healing and regrowth of the fins.Have to agree with Rick, the lady was wrong. All the fish should need is lots of clean water, normal temps of 82f or so should be fine. I've never had any success (or failure) with melafix, some swear by it, some at it! If you need something to keep the background bacterial levels low, then water changes work well, and if you feel you need a med, acriflavin is good.

discus795
06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Have to agree with Rick, the lady was wrong. All the fish should need is lots of clean water, normal temps of 82f or so should be fine. I've never had any success (or failure) with melafix, some swear by it, some at it! If you need something to keep the background bacterial levels low, then water changes work well, and if you feel you need a med, acriflavin is good.
Thank you for the advice. I do daily water changes of 50%. Lately it has been more since he has been sick. Just to clarify the acriflavin will treat the bacteria growing on my fish? My water seems to be fine since my other discus is healthy, water parameters are good, and all my tetras and danios are fine.

pcsb23
06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the advice. I do daily water changes of 50%. Lately it has been more since he has been sick. Just to clarify the acriflavin will treat the bacteria growing on my fish? My water seems to be fine since my other discus is healthy, water parameters are good, and all my tetras and danios are fine.I thought any fuzz etc had gone? If it has I wouldn't use anything other than clean water. The fish being skinny could be down to internal parasites (nematodes and/or flagellates usually). Levamisole would be a good bet, don't know about the medicated flakes so can't comment on them.

discus795
06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
I thought any fuzz etc had gone? If it has I wouldn't use anything other than clean water. The fish being skinny could be down to internal parasites (nematodes and/or flagellates usually). Levamisole would be a good bet, don't know about the medicated flakes so can't comment on them.

The fuzz around the spine that is exposed has gone but he still has a few spots on his tail and body. If the flakes don't work, I'll look into Levamisole. Thanks for all the help!

nc0gnet0
06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Increased water temps is really only effective for a few external parasites. More often that not, it will make the problem worse for a bacterial issue. melafix is only good for external cuts/scrapes and is utterly useless as an anti-bacterial agent. If your fish continue to have fin issues, acriflavin as paul suggested might work, or if you need something stronger you can use furan-2.

Solve your immediate issues FIRST, but if you then decide to de-worm best bet is to get some pure levamisole.

discus795
06-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Increased water temps is really only effective for a few external parasites. More often that not, it will make the problem worse for a bacterial issue. melafix is only good for external cuts/scrapes and is utterly useless as an anti-bacterial agent. If your fish continue to have fin issues, acriflavin as paul suggested might work, or if you need something stronger you can use furan-2.

Solve your immediate issues FIRST, but if you then decide to de-worm best bet is to get some pure levamisole.

That makes sense. I'll try one of the medications you suggested. Thank you!

discus795
06-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help. My fish has made a full recover with some minor fin damage. I used furan 2 followed with a dip in some potassium permanganate. I also dewormed him and he is gaining weight and very healthy. He is no longer in a quarantine tank and happy in his 60 gallon tank with fishy friends.

Tictok
06-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Thats great! Glad to hear your fish is back to health and eating normally :)

DonMD
06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Congrats! It's always amazing when we nurse a fish back to health.