PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms

Mikemeets
06-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Does anybody feed earthworms as a once a week snack to their discus and how do u treat the earthworms from parasites? Give the earhworms a salt bath? And any nutrients in earhworms?

Any insight will be great on this topic.

brewmaster15
06-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Earthworms are generally too big to feed to discus, though I do feed smaller ones. They are an excellent food, and nutritious but be careful of where you get them.. They can absorb pesticides and toxins. You may want to try red wiggler compost worms aka red wigglers instead...smaller, easy to culture and you have control over any possible contaminants...be it chemical or parasite.
hth,
al

adapted
06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Earthworms are excellent food for discus. Parasites aren't a concern. I've been feeding red wigglers, which are all but identical, just smaller, for a month now and my fish seem healthier. It's the only food I currently use that results in something close to a feeding frenzy.

Mikemeets
06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Ahhh great thanx guys but ive never heard of red wigglers in my life but will get the baby earthworms b4 they grow to adult size :) ill wash or bath them b4 in a heavy salt bath b4 dunking them in my tank just to make sure my discus dont get desease :D

LizStreithorst
06-13-2014, 05:32 PM
They are not aquatic so they carry no aquatic disease. Where I live there are 2 types of earth worms. There are red wigglers that are small tender and brown/red and night crawlers which are grey and tough. Do yourself a favor. Get red wigglers.

Mikemeets
06-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Ohk cool ill find them thanx :D i wanna start breeding with red wigglers then for my discus