PDA

View Full Version : Red non-pigeon discus

Ken
06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Looking for a list of Red non-pigeon discus, Going to order from Hans or Kenney

Im going to have a darker background and substrate
and have read that the pigeon based reds pepper with darker backgrounds/substrates.

Is there a way to tell if a pigeon based red will pepper ?

Keith Perkins
06-16-2014, 06:39 PM
A lot of factors determine whether a PB will pepper or not; genetics, water quality, general health, stress, background color, etc. So the short answer is no, there's no way to tell if a PB will pepper. I don't believe Hans has any reds that aren't PBs. Kenny's varieties available vary somewhat from shipment to shipment, but he often has at least Rose Reds available. I'd e-mail Kenny and ask him.

kennysdiscus@gmail.com

Ken
06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Im going to try to limit some of the factors,
10 fish in 180g tank, 5 Red & 5 Blue
4.5-5.5" fish
Fish from a reputable seller, Trying for better genetics
Im trying to decide on, to bypass the pigeon blood strains or try them from a reputable seller

Or just stick with non-pigeon reds,
Rose Reds
San Merah
any others?

SortSay2003
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Ken,

I would suggest calling Hans or Kenny and ask them directly since they are the two sources you're thinking about. The San Merahs from Kenny are beautiful fish. Good luck:)

Keith Perkins
06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
My choice is to bypass them, but it's purely a personal choice. It avoids the peppering possibility, but obviously also limits your choices somewhat. Happy shopping.

Discusdude7
06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
As Keith already suggested, I would talk to Kenny. He is more than willing to answer your questions and give you some reccomendations. The san merahs he sells btw are awesome.

tiSherman
06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Red non-pigeon, virgin red, red cover are good choice
Mandarin Passion is pigeon base, but no peppering at all with black bg. I have them in black bg, you're not far from me, you can stop by and see how nice they are ...

Ken
06-16-2014, 09:07 PM
I have an email in to both Hans & Kenney
I think I will go with the non-pigeon fish
Thanks for the replys