PDA

View Full Version : Using rainwater

Mikemeets
06-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Can i use rainwater that has built up in a jojo tank outside my house which holds about 500 gallons of water that gets poured into the huge tank by my guters of my house? Not sure if the water is to old and wrotten from lying in the sun for a year or is there a way to treat it ens

DiscusLoverJeff
06-23-2014, 06:15 AM
You would have to test all the water parameters (PH, TDS, nitrates/nitrites and ammonia). If the water being collected has not aerated or more so, no movement in the tank to keep it from going stagnate, then I would no. Another factor is the container it is being held in and the area you live in (pollutants) as well.

I would just say to save the rain water for your lawn. Don't take chances with your fish.

Skip
06-23-2014, 10:01 AM
pollutants would be more of a concern to me.. you can't measure that.. with ammonia test :)

Mikemeets
06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Was thinking same thing that the water in there from years of rainfall could be off even tho i stay in a tropical area... ohk ill stick to watering my lawn with it and use treated tap water haha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Discus-Lover
06-29-2014, 05:56 AM
I would not use the rain water because it has been polluted by chemicals from roof, gutter...

But, I do have a couple big containers outdoor to warm and age tap water. Rain water is OK since it falls from sky not roof.

timmy82
06-29-2014, 06:33 AM
I have recently moved 600mUS terms. I have gone from town water supply to the only supply is rain water tank. We are in a rain forest and there aren't any big industries close by and the water is fine. All the down pipes go through a 200mic screen and I keep the roofs clean. With a conductivity metre water is 35um. I have made up my own remineralisation powder and is working great. The water is also filtered 20 mic sediment and then 5 mic PP sediment and then 1 mic block carbon silver impregnated all going well just started with my remineraliser 2 days ago and had 3 pairs spawn this arvo and another 2 cleaning :-)

plecocicho
06-29-2014, 08:56 AM
If you live near big industry/city/roads your eain water will indeed be polluted. If no,just wait for an hpur or so when the rain starts and then collect your rain water. You can filter it through wool and then slowly through activated carbon.You can even test the quality of your rain water by water fleas. Daphnia test are standard pollutant test and are preatty good indicator of water pollutions. So if daphnia die in masses in that rain water you cant use it.