PDA

View Full Version : Overflow box - Problem or not?

dragon1974
06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Not sure if I have a problem with my overflow box but I hope I can explain the situation properly. I have a 220 gal Miracles double overflow tank. All silicone is looking good except for one spot one of the overflow box seams. It’s on one of the verticals, not all the way down and it’s only about half of the silicone on the outside of the overflow box and not the actual silicone between the box and the glass.

The question is, should I just replace the entire vertical length of the seam or should I take the box off and re-do the box?

As stated before, the silicone between the box and the glass is intact, and I know that if it was the glass itself I would redo the entire tank seams but I think it might be a bit extreme if I redid the tank because of this small section on the overflow.

Anyhelp would be greatful

MKD
06-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Pic would be great. If water can goes thru it then it's no good unless you have long tall pvc inside the overflow box.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

dragon1974
06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
No Pics today, when I get home I'll take some. No water going through to the other side, and I doubt that it would. I was just thinking to replace the part that is coming off. Have a standpipe on the other side leading to the sump.

MKD
06-23-2014, 12:35 PM
if your standpipe goes all the way to the top at the teeth of overflow box, that's where your water will stop when pump is not working or stop then you're ok.

dragon1974
06-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah it does go all the way to the top. So the question is, should I just cut the bad part out and just reseal it just for cosmetic purposes?

MKD
06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
yes, i would since you still have a chance to fix it because once fish are in, it's hard to fix it. Plus i hate to hear, i should have done it earlier.

dragon1974
06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Yep hear you on that one. Will be fixed.

THanks again

MKD
06-23-2014, 02:15 PM
i m glad i can help. btw, "I should have done it earlier" it's applied to me too hahaha

DiscusLoverJeff
06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
If you are in need of a new box, I have this one for sale if interested.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CR1511&child=CR1518&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=CR1518&gclid=COeuxtzikL8CFYRcMgodTzkAGQ

Brand new, never used.

PM me.

dragon1974
06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the box is ok and I don't have a problem only that the bead of silicone on the outer side of the box needs some repair. No water passes through and the seals between look to be intact. SO I'm either going to leave it alone or clean it. Thanks for the offer