PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NADA Discus Show Class Videos

Second Hand Pat
06-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Thick Line and Homebred Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLhFElpfIE

Wes
06-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Thank you Pat for doing the vid and posting it, they are fantastic.

rdiscus
06-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Nice ring ... :)

Second Hand Pat
06-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Open Class part one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=detIVS9GpOY&feature=youtu.be

musicmarn1
06-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Pat this is brilliant well done !

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Pat this is brilliant well done !

Thanks Marnie, there are several to go. Just take time to upload and publish the silly things.

Discusdude7
06-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting these videos pat. Wish I could have been there to see all the show fish in person but this and matts pictures is the next best thing.

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Open Class Part Two

http://youtu.be/tSRinahXObw

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Wilds Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48WM4rYpFDc&feature=youtu.be

JamesP
06-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Pat,

Thanks for posting the videos. That is a great way to show the fish. It was nice seeing you again.

Thanks,

Jim

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 12:07 PM
You are welcome Jim and nice seeing you again also. The videos are a nice addition to the pictures.

I am maxing my bandwidth here at home uploading vids and pics. :)

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Spotted Class

http://youtu.be/7do9QBO8ZrQ

Chicago Discus
06-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Got to love the spots :):)

John_Nicholson
06-25-2014, 01:40 PM
On the first video my fish are from the 2:02 to the 2:17 mark. On the Open part 2 the first 2 fish are mine. The first is the should have been a blue diamond and the second is a fish that Chad sent me. One of the "PB rings"

-john

P.S. The add in the first post this time was for segrest farms......how ironic is that?

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Got to love the spots :):)

Ain't that the truth Josie :D

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Spotted Class

http://youtu.be/NlF9rKx-XJM

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 01:47 PM
On the first video my fish are from the 2:02 to the 2:17 mark. On the Open part 2 the first 2 fish are mine. The first is the should have been a blue diamond and the second is a fish that Chad sent me. One of the "PB rings"

-john

P.S. The add in the first post this time was for segrest farms......how ironic is that?

Will mention that to Al. :)

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Solid Class and last video of the show fish.

http://youtu.be/Ia7lT-h2r1g

Rudustin
06-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Solid Class and last video of the show fish.

http://youtu.be/Ia7lT-h2r1g
Hello Pat, First, I would like to thank you for the videos! It gives those of us that were not able to make the show an idea of what quality discus can become with the right care and concern. Second, congratulations are in order for your success with your discus entered into the show! Three, as you probably know I love solids and of course I really enjoyed this video the most. Four, can you give an approximate as to the size of most of the fish entered and also if the open class has restrictions within the rules that the fish entered need to be home grown or not. I have several adult fish that I purchased and as a result of consistent care they have gotten quite big (bigger than they were originally) and perhaps, if blessed to still have these fish, might like to enter them in a show sometime in the future. I assume there are rules for such shows and I guess I should just go to the website of NADA to find out the rules but I was wondering specifically about these questions and thought you could perhaps answer them for me. I have a snow white and a blue pigeon and a blue diamond that might be show quality but I'm not sure. How does one find out or preview such fish so that one doesn't look like an idiot entering a show of this kind or other with undersized or incorrect shape and color of the discus in question? Thanks again for the videos and hope to hear an answer from you or any other discus keepers that either were at the show or who have entered shows of this kind before. Best regards. Rufus

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Thank you Rufus and it was my pleasure to do the videos. I make them to give a sense of what the fish look like in life. I think most of the fish were six inches or better but some were smaller. The judging criteria call for the fish to be six inches or better.

Regarding the classes there are expectations for each class and if a fish is entered in the wrong class it will simply not be judged for that class. The fish entered in the home bred class are expected to be home bred. The open class is pretty much open to all fish. Fish entered in the solid class should be a barless fish but a halo is permitted.

To help you determine if a fish is good enough contact one of the NADA judges such as John, Jim, etc or one of the international judges. Careful to not contact them if they are actively judging for a given show. The judges are not suppose to know who owns which fish.

Rudustin
06-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Hi Pat, Thanks for answering my questions. Where can I find a calendar of show events? Do they post the judges for that event? Thank you once again for answering my questions and who knows I may enter a show just to see what happens. It would be fun I think! The fish that I have in my avatar is my largest. I purchased him from Hans and Hans did advise me that he thought that this was a possible show discus so, it has crossed my mind that maybe some day I will enter him. I also have two Silver pigeons that have grown up measuring six inches or better that are spectacular. I raised them from about two inches but of course they were not home bred so they would have to enter the open class or solid class correct? Are you someone that could assess to some degree the makings of a show fish? If so let me know and I will send you pictures just to get your opinion if you are willing. Thanks again. Once again congrats on your success. Rufus

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Rufus, the only show I know about is the NADA show and the next one will be in 2016. The show committee will have a show website which will have the info you are interested in but that is at least a year or better out.

Rudustin
06-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Hi Pat, thanks for the answer but you didn't answer my second question about assessing a possible show discus.

Second Hand Pat
06-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Thank you Rufus and it was my pleasure to do the videos. I make them to give a sense of what the fish look like in life. I think most of the fish were six inches or better but some were smaller. The judging criteria call for the fish to be six inches or better.

Regarding the classes there are expectations for each class and if a fish is entered in the wrong class it will simply not be judged for that class. The fish entered in the home bred class are expected to be home bred. The open class is pretty much open to all fish. Fish entered in the solid class should be a barless fish but a halo is permitted.

To help you determine if a fish is good enough contact one of the NADA judges such as John, Jim, etc or one of the international judges. Careful to not contact them if they are actively judging for a given show. The judges are not suppose to know who owns which fish.

Hi Pat, thanks for the answer but you didn't answer my second question about assessing a possible show discus.

Rufus, I did answer your second question in the bolded quote above.
Pat

Larry Bugg
06-26-2014, 07:55 AM
NADA also provides judges for other Shows. Sometimes these will be NADA sanctioned and sometimes it isn't but the judges will use NADA judging criteria in either case. We normally provide a judge for the ACA every year and will have one at their show next month in Louisville.

Chad Adams
06-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I think most of the fish were six inches or better but some were smaller. The judging criteria call for the fish to be six inches or better.

The fish do not have to be 6 inches to qualify, but we will score them better if they are at least 6 inches. A fish less than six inches could still win in a category if the other attributes were still good.

Chad

John_Nicholson
06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
The score sheet is broken up into many sections. Size is just one of them. The 6 inches is standard length, not total, but i have seen many fish shorter than that win....just like Chad said.

-john

fugu_88
06-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank you for sharing these videos... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you for sharing these videos... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are more then welcome :)