PDA

View Full Version : Best Tank Shape/Questions

Snow
06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before I tried to research it before posting. And I'm sure that there are differing opinions on this as well.

I'm thinking of getting another tank. My issue is.... would a hexagon, pentagon or even a cube be ok? Or would the traditional rectangular one be better.

adapted
06-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I think most people would say surface area is the most important concern, followed by depth to accommodate the discus preference for up and down swimming. I wouldn't buy a tank much less than 20 inches tall for adults, and I wouldn't buy a tank much over 30 inces tall as you're losing surface area v. overall volume and they can be a bear to bottom siphon.

Other than that, assuming you're allowing enough floor space (as opposed to volume) for the less dominant to get away from aggressors, it's mostly personal preference.

Snow
06-27-2014, 10:48 PM
I think I will stick with the traditional rectangular tanks like I have now (reg. 75 gal). After much research I have decided that maybe later down the road when I can spend more money to have a much larger tank than 100 gal I will look into different shapes ect.

Thank you for you thoughtful reply!

discuspaul
06-27-2014, 10:59 PM
I think most people would say surface area is the most important concern, followed by depth to accommodate the discus preference for up and down swimming. I wouldn't buy a tank much less than 20 inches tall for adults, and I wouldn't buy a tank much over 30 inces tall as you're losing surface area v. overall volume and they can be a bear to bottom siphon.

Other than that, assuming you're allowing enough floor space (as opposed to volume) for the less dominant to get away from aggressors, it's mostly personal preference.

Yes, as Snow has already acknowledged, your reply was succinct, well put, and appropriate for discus.

Snow
06-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I went ahead and got a 100 gal. reg. rectangular tank! So I (well the fish) should have plenty of room!!!

LizStreithorst
06-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Good choice.