PDA

View Full Version : Clear fish poop

Fish24
06-28-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't really know if my fish is sick but it looks ok. I just noticed that my discus poop was clear....I have seen it like that before but it was not sick then either. I did just have an angelfish die from bloat last night.....do I need to worry?

Fish24
06-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Ok I'll try a different question.....is it ok to treat my entire plants tank for internal parasites? That way my other fish are treated in case they were to show signs....?

Madaboutdiscus
06-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Fill out the questionnaire for everybody to give more info. Was the angel in with the discus?

~Victoria

Fish24
06-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Yes the angel was in with it.

Fish24
06-28-2014, 03:02 AM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Stated above

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Clear poop
3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

125 gallon. Had it for 5 months now.

3 discus
1 angel(one died Thursday night)
2 Cory cats
2 SAE
2 loaches
Rainbow shark
Blood parrot (non aggressive, is with the discus all the time)

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50-70% weekly with scattered small changes throughout the week.(about20% of those)

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

~5 months
Gravel mixed recently with plant soil

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

Don't know the readings as I don't have a test kit and have never needed one.
- temp ___84-86__

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Water is from the tap.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Added some plants. (5)

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Couldn't get a picture but will try if I get another chance

pyroo
06-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Probably a parasite infection since the feces is clear (white?), the soil might be the problem, was it sterilized before you added into the tank? Also are your discus juveniles? If they are young, it's a lot easier to raise them bare bottom, they are messy eaters and poop like crazy. (Don't quote me on this part) They soil may add extra minerals, nitrate into the water column which may stress the discus making them more susceptible to diseases. If the soil was not sterilized, you may have introduced a number of pathogens into a closed system.

If it is a parasite infection, use prazipro, I've had a lot of success with it, very mild treatment that won't stress out the fish or kill off the beneficial bacteria.

Madaboutdiscus
06-28-2014, 07:36 AM
What are the tank parameters? Like nitrate stuff like that. You only have 3 discus in a community tank. How big are they? You need at least 5 discus to make them feel more comfortable. Did you follow all proper quarantine procedures before adding all these fish together? Discus should be raised barebottom tank. They need daily 50% water changes if they're not adults. You really need to get these guys out and into their own tank. You got a few fish in there that don't go well with discus. Seeing white/clear poop does not always mean parasites. If the fish is not eating it could be shedding stomach lining. It could have hex. All these things are an issue. And we really need to know what your nitrates and nitrites and ammonia are.

~Victoria

Crunchy
06-28-2014, 11:29 AM
The shark may have stressed them too.

Fish24
06-28-2014, 02:52 PM
The fish is still eating. Also the shark is never around them. They have been in the same tank for 5 months now. With no problems....in other words I will not be removing any fish.

Now with that said, I have added plants. The soil I added is not dirt it's the little rock kind. "Aquatic plant soil" for ponds I think it said.

But yes I woke up this morning and it's,still white. Is it best to treat the whole tank? As I said I just had an angelfish die of what I was told bloat....after he was dead he had white poop coming from him when I took him out.

Fish24
06-28-2014, 04:53 PM
K so I picked up some prazipro. Is it safe with live plants and also I have small quarter sized baby discus hanging in a box on the tank....is it safe for them?

Madaboutdiscus
06-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Please test your water first and see what it says. If you're not willing to make some changes like moving fish around and getting rid of that gravel you're in for failure here. How big are your discus? You need at least 5 of them together. Just because they have white poop doesn't mean it's parasites. Post some pics of the fish and let's see what they look like and what the poop looks like. It's never a good idea to medicate until you know for sure what you have. Do you have a microscope you can look at the poop under? Obviously if you've already lost one fish here there's something going on in your tank. Whether it's disease or the tank itself it's best to figure it out before stressing your fish with meds.

~Victoria

Fish24
06-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Took the issue into a LFS tested my water for me and looked at the fish. Made some recommendations and I was told my water it good. Also gave me some meds to use. Prazipro is one of them. Another is is some type of powder meth something. She told me to use it on the 1,3,5 days.

judijetson
06-29-2014, 09:39 AM
But what were the results of the test? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Madaboutdiscus
06-29-2014, 12:23 PM
I really hope your fish pull through and do ok but don't be surprised if what your know nothing about discus lfs remedy doesn't work. Good luck.

~Victoria

Fish24
07-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Problem fixed. I guess she did know what she was talking about huh.....

Also I checked my water today.
Ph was 7.6
Nitri 0
Nitra 0
Ammon .25 ( not sure how I tested this water 1 hour after a 50% water change) but I also had no carbon in for the meds....not sure if that affected it...?

Other then that everything seems to be doing better in my tank. Even my plants.