PDA

View Full Version : First pair

Keds195
06-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site.
I have 7 discus in my big tank I put a cone in there just incase. Was not expecting anything.
I noticed on Thursday night that 2 of them were spending a lot of time around the cone and we're pecking at it. I thought they were looking for food. I was hoping maybe the starting of a pair but didn't want to get my hopes up.
Got home from work Friday dinner time and to my utter surprise they had laid eggs. They ate all the eggs within a couple of hours. Which I was kind of expecting.
I have now moved them to there own bare bottom tank. To see if they have more success in there.
My questions are. When should I expect them to lay again? They have been occasionally cleaning the cone since I put them in their new tank so in hopeful they will lay again soon. Thank you

Altum Nut
06-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Lets hope they end up being a confirmed pair. The fact they are cleaning cone in new tank is a positive sign. They should spawn again and when doing so.... screen cone to prevent them from being eaten and wait for any hatch. However be patient as they may not lay or hatch so give them time. This sticky offers much info and highly recommend you browse through it. Water, temp, feeding, filter flow, fish age etc are all factors to consider any possible breeding success.

Good luck,
...Ralph

Keds195
06-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I have 2 mature sponge filters running in the tank. Temp is at 29c and I'm feeding them on tetra prima, frozen blood worm, frozen daphnia and frozen brine shrimp. Also bought some freeze dried tubifex to try them with.

Altum Nut
06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks. I have 2 mature sponge filters running in the tank. Temp is at 29c and I'm feeding them on tetra prima, frozen blood worm, frozen daphnia and frozen brine shrimp. Also bought some freeze dried tubifex to try them with.

One sponge is all you need and will help with less water current. The temp can be dropped a couple of degrees and if feeding frozen stay with a good brand like Hikari and don't feed frozen alone as a staple diet plus they are likely to get hooked on it and never take other foods. Frozen BW, Daphnia, BS have a large water content and not as nutritious. As for Tubifix worms....never used them.

...Ralph