PDA

View Full Version : new hobbist discus issue

doggychow
07-01-2014, 12:08 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

my blue cobalt was fine in my 60G tank with my two other discus (who seem to have paired off) but was frequently bullied, we ended up getting another 60g tank and 4 more discus (all from seperate tanks) so decided to move the blue colbalt over with the new guys and hope the bullying died down, the bullying is no more but my blue (who used to eat from my hand) has lost a lot of color and is alway hideing/ not visibly eating theres no bullying going on and the new four altho skittish now eat from my hand and all seem healthy

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

havent seen him poop but fins are errect, just not eating hideing all the time and loseing color

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60g tank 5 fish- blue is 3.5in, 3 3-3.5in and 1 2in

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30-40% every two days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

tank has run for a month, with a prepared filter of two months, sand substrate 2in deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

no ageing ever and the discus were fine with it

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86-88

- ph 7.4-7.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 10 at time of testing

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

as explained above

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

pcsb23
07-01-2014, 05:11 AM
Not eating and skittish indicate there may be an environmental issue, i.e. something about the tank they don't like. First course of action is to do regular water changes, second is to lower the temperature, 82 is fine.

Quintin
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi.In my opinion you are not doing large enough water changes.And water quality is not what it should be.For the size discus you have at present id say remove substrate do 80% water changes daily for a week then go to at least 50% water change daily.Also siphon all uneaten food after say an hour.What do you prime your water with.Good luck with your discus and hope all ends well.

Quintin
07-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Oh and forgot to ask is the back and sides of your tank covered?that could also explain the skittishness.

doggychow
07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Pcsb23/quintin I'll def start changeing more water and see if that helps him, sides and back are uncovered because they like to watch me work :)p I use API stress coat for the water and seachem discus trace once a week, he just must be moody because he ate a couple bites just now and been like this since I got homehttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/u9ehyre5.jpg

doggychow
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
quintin- sides and back of tank are not covered mostly because they like to watch my tv shows with me, but i have some floating plants ill remove first before taking all the substrate out and start doing larger water changes I'm using API stress coat for the water as well as seachem discus trace as directed, he just must be really moody because he ate a couple bites when i got home and the guys have been watching me work and the tv like this since http://i.imgur.com/0Gvjuc8.jpg (http://imgur.com/0Gvjuc8)
pcsb23- ill try dropping the temperature, tho the seller i got them from had it that high so i was trying to stay consistant