PDA

View Full Version : Flake food with Metro in it

viper0397
07-07-2014, 07:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with the flake food that has the medicine metro in it. My discus love flake food and instead of mixing with the brine shrimp like I usually do I would like to try it out. I feel they would actually ingest it then instead of it just floating all in my tank.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew where to purchase it.

Thank you!!

Jeff

nc0gnet0
07-07-2014, 08:05 AM
It's really hard to get the proper dosage to the fish when treating with a medicated fish. fish that actually need treatment are typically not eating to begin with, as such a bath (medication in the water) is almost always a better option.

Do you have sick fish or are you just treating prophylacticly?

viper0397
07-07-2014, 08:11 AM
A little bit of both. I have a hospital tank with 4 ill discus in it that I have already been treating before my whole substrate ordeal. I also say every 6 months or so like to give my healthy fish metro just to try and be proactive.

This was advice I received from my LFS.

brewmaster15
07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
A little bit of both. I have a hospital tank with 4 ill discus in it that I have already been treating before my whole substrate ordeal. I also say every 6 months or so like to give my healthy fish metro just to try and be proactive.

This was advice I received from my LFS.
Hi Jeff,
Thats bad advice from your LFS:( Prophylactic Treatment of fish with metro periodically will lead to organisms becoming resistant to the metro. I strongly advise you to drop that routine...The LFS is not giving you sound advice, IMO. I'd take out a thread in the disease board here and see if people can help with the sick fish issue.

hth,
al

viper0397
07-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi Jeff,
Thats bad advice from your LFS:( Prophylactic Treatment of fish with metro periodically will lead to organisms becoming resistant to the metro. I strongly advise you to drop that routine...The LFS is not giving you sound advice, IMO. I'd take out a thread in the disease board here and see if people can help with the sick fish issue.

hth,
al

Yes now that I think about it that makes perfect sense. It is like us over using antibiotics. Good point Al!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DISCUS STU
07-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Angels PLUS sells various medicated flake foods including one with Metronidazole. I normally feed it prophylactically with new fish in quarantine. I also add Metro into a turkey heart mixture and refreeze, I forget the amounts but a good scale, not expensive, and some internet research will help. They also sell a deworming Fenbendazole flake which also seems to be very good.

Their prices are good and you can purchase in three different sizes, the middle size (8 oz.?) is a lot of flake for not a lot of money, and the fish really seem to like it, I think they add garlic to the mixture.

DISCUS STU
07-08-2014, 04:24 PM
I also agree with the others. I use Metro when adding new fish as part of a quarantine regimen but don't really see the point of just adding it every six months as this can cause bacterial resistance, the same thing happens when people just take antibiotics for no good reason.

Without dismissing all of them, I've also received some good advice from LPS's, sometimes the LPS's also have some of the worst advice you can possibly imagine that can also be harmful to the fish. I had to learn the hard way that just because someone may work in a fish store it doesn't mean they may know much about fish and will sometimes talk out of their...hats. Sometimes they also just want to sell product.