PDA

View Full Version : Startup Conundrum

TDamon
07-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking here for a while and need some advice. I'm setting up my first discus tank - currently in the middle of a fishless cycle with nitrites on the rise. The tank is a 125g with about 100g actual water volume. I plan to stock 8-9 discus, 12 or so cardinal tetras and 3-5 Sterbai Cory cats - also will add some plants. Tank water is 25% tap and 75% RO/DI with parameters of:
PH 7.5-7.6
Kh 1.5-2.5
Gh 2-2.5
Temp 84 (going to reduce to 82-83)

Currently I'm running a Fluval 406, AquaClear 110 and 2 Hydro V sponge filters along with a UV sterilizer connected to the Fluval - level 1 performance. I'm planning on removing both sponges for the quarantine tank but might leave 1 in long term and remove the AquaClear instead. Will have to see. I plan to purchase the discus from Kenny.

Now the conundrum...

In reading different posts it seems that most would agree to put the whole set of discus in at once which would leave the rest of the fish to go into the quarantine tank. This is what I have planned for and purchased my QT size appropriately - 29g. However, now I am a bit concerned since I purchased the 125g used. I'm really concerned about purchasing and releasing ~$700 of fish into a tank that is not known to be safe even though I cleaned it well with vinegar. So my question to all of you - do you think I should add all discus at once? Add discus in 2 sets? Or put the dither fish in first and QT the discus as 2 groups in the 29 over 2 separate shipments?

I think it is a matter of opinion at this point and will be based on your personal risk acceptance but I don't have enough experience with this to make a good decision on my own. My last experiences were with low cost fish and/or introduction of fish over longer periods of time so the risks were very low.

Thank you in advance for any insight and help you can provide!

Tim

TDamon
07-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Here is a photo of the current setup...

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/Tdamon2001/Discus%20Tank/imagejpg1_zpsec431720.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/Tdamon2001/media/Discus%20Tank/imagejpg1_zpsec431720.jpg.html)

Dneitzelt
07-09-2014, 12:27 AM
I also bought a used 125 gal tank, I cleaned it well with vinegar and have a 55gal QT that still needs to be set up

Chung
07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
From EVERYTHING I've read on this forum (and that's been hundreds of hours...) no decorations in a quarantine tank and bare bottom.
You should have used bleach to clean the 125g tank and rinsed well using a dechlorinator product. Even if some bleach remains it will eventually dissipate during the cycling period.
A 29 gal is too small for discus quarantine, 55 gal is minimum ($700 worth of discus must mean some large fish) regardless of splitting into 2 shipments - 2 shipments X 6 wk quarantine = 12 weeks of quarantine (future headache coming)
From reading the display tanks area of the forum - put the discus in last or they will think those cardinals are dinner when you introduce them and even then...
Any experienced members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

MendoMan
07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I started up a 140 by using the fish less cycle and when the cycle was complete I put in ten fish from Kenny all at once and had no problem. This is the one time you don't need to quarantine. I'd drop the Cardinals and just go with the Discus. Just be sure that you have a completed cycle and you've continued to add ammonia daily to keep your bacteria alive while waiting for your fish. The day before I got my fish I stopped adding ammonia and did a 90% water change. Worked great the full load of fish was no problem for the fully cycled tank.

TDamon
07-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking that I will risk it and put all discus in as soon as I'm through the cycle - I have a contingency plan if needed. Hopefully my cycle finishes up soon so I can order from Kenny's July shipment!

Keith Perkins
07-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking that I will risk it and put all discus in as soon as I'm through the cycle - I have a contingency plan if needed. Hopefully my cycle finishes up soon so I can order from Kenny's July shipment!

I don't know if Kenny has any available, but you could check with him and see if he could sell you a couple of cycled sponges.

TDamon
07-11-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't know if Kenny has any available, but you could check with him and see if he could sell you a couple of cycled sponges.

Thanks for the thought.... I did that last night along with my order!

Keith Perkins
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Congrats

tonytheboss1
07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
:bandana: I put my eight sub-adults in all at once from Hans. No problems, no worries. That was a little over two years ago. "T"

TDamon
07-13-2014, 10:58 PM
:bandana: I put my eight sub-adults in all at once from Hans. No problems, no worries. That was a little over two years ago. "T"

I made my order with Kenny. Will also be putting 8 sub adults in all at once. Will see how it goes. Thanks for the reply!

fugu_88
07-14-2014, 03:44 AM
Happy discus keeping. You will enjoy it... :)
After keeping arowana for years, i still return to discus keeping... :bounce::bounce:

paulW
07-17-2014, 01:25 PM
If you are really worried about the tank being ok, I would buy the dithers, let the dithers live there for about a month and then add the Discus.

Cleaning tank:
A strong salt water solution wipe down should kill any parasites, etc.. then rinse with fresh water and wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
I guess it's too late now.
But everyone has their own way of cleaning tanks, I'm just not a fan of bleach, even though people do it.

I honestly don't even mess with fishless cycle. I start off with a low stocking load, light feeding and frequent water changes until the filters are cycled.
That's another advantage of putting the dithers in first, no need to fishless cycle.
In any event, I'm sure you'll be fine.

TDamon
07-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks again for the thoughts and comments!

The tank was dry for 1.5 years before I got it and all the rest of the equipment is new so I'm thinking there's a low risk here.

Fishless cycle is being weird. Started it May 31 and it's still not handling 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Nitrites spiked above 2ppm and are back at zero with nitrates above 20ppm but ammonia just isn't converting very fast at all.