PDA

View Full Version : In all fairness

donnacona
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Who here feed microworms as first food to their fry. I know that they are for Killifish but they are also good for discus and anglefish fry.
Seems easier than hatching brine shrimp.
Stu

John_Nicholson
07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
I never have but nothing in the world is simpler then hatching BBS. A little salt, a little water, and a little time and you have a great first food.

-john

donnacona
07-09-2014, 03:10 PM
I never have but nothing in the world is simpler then hatching BBS. A little salt, a little water, and a little time and you have a great first food.

-john
John do you or have you de capsulated your brine shrimp eggs.
What else do you give your fry as first food and on which day after hatching do you start the feeding.
Stu

John_Nicholson
07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
I use regular old fashion eggs from brineshrimpdirect. I normally start feeding them on about day 5 of freeswimming.

-john

pcsb23
07-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Who here feed microworms as first food to their fry. I know that they are for Killifish but they are also good for discus and anglefish fry.
Seems easier than hatching brine shrimp.
StuIn the past I've fed them to angel fish fry, but you need an awful lot of 'em to feed a batch of angels. BBS is much easier and offers a better meal as you can feed a better sized portion ime - I may not be the best at culturing microworms ...

I find BBS easy, pretty much do as John does to hatch them. I've had less luck with the decapped ones, as in lower hatch rates. Still the fry will eat the decapped eggs so ...

donnacona
07-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Thank you all for the input and the advice it will come in handy when this couple of mine finally get it right
Stu