PDA

View Full Version : possible pair in my show tank

humanbeardog
07-10-2014, 10:09 PM
I have I would say novice experience but no expert. I have 18 mature discus in my 210 aquarium I have a female who is spawning and 2 would possibly be males hovering around her I have the three of them quarantined off the two that I believed to be the males are not fighting but one of them the female actually allows right up next two the eggs with her which male is her mate? Both fish stay close to her. will a female still spawn even though there is not a male present?

scottthomas
07-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I have seen females lay eggs in the company of other females. But, most likely you have a male involved if you have 18 adult discus. You probably will have several pairings in your tank. Just watch them closely and you will be able to tell which is the male as he makes passes to fertilize the eggs. You will probably have to seperate them to their own tank if you want to breed.

humanbeardog
07-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I have seen females lay eggs in the company of other females. But, most likely you have a male involved if you have 18 adult discus. You probably will have several pairings in your tank. Just watch them closely and you will be able to tell which is the male as he makes passes to fertilize the eggs. You will probably have to seperate them to their own tank if you want to breed.
I figured out who was who. Right now I have an egg crate partition to separate. the same the eggs calcified so quick and hard water slowly working on getting more aquariums to put the pair in their own

Schatz
07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Good luck!

humanbeardog
07-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Now that their isolated and the eggs turned white they just stare at the back wall.