PDA

View Full Version : Determining Discus Pairs

talktomrgibson
07-15-2014, 06:18 AM
hi all, i have raised 5 discus together in a community tank, i suspect two of them have paired up as almost 1/2 the tank is their territory, and unless its feeding time, they will chase the other discus out of the area, i wondered if anybody would have any advice on how to tell if they are indeed a pairing. they haven't realy been displaying any tell-tail signs like courting or anything, but they are constantly in proximity of each other.

i took some video of them and uploaded it to youtube, i'll put the link below if you wanted to see their behavior.

http://youtu.be/XqALMMK20B0

any advice would be awesome, i'm thinking about taking a dive into trying to encourage them to breed (in their own tank) if they are indeed a pair.

thanks so much!!
Nic

Second Hand Pat
07-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Hi Nic, you need to make your video public.
Pat

Keith Perkins
07-15-2014, 07:33 AM
What Pat said. However, without even seeing the video, the best way to tell if you have a true pair is to be patient and let nature take it's course and let them show you.

talktomrgibson
07-15-2014, 06:54 PM
i just wasn't sure if they would spawn in a community tank Keith? do you think that if they are indeed a pair, they would go ahead anyway?

thanks guys, the video is public now >.<

Keith Perkins
07-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Absolutely they'll spawn in a community tank. It's not overly likely they'll do it successfully, but a pair will definitely spawn in a community tank. Many of us will let pairs form in community tanks and let them spawn a few times in an attempt to strengthen their parenting and protecting skills before we relocate them to a breeding tank.

rdiscus
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Look like you have 2 nice pairs ...

fugu_88
07-19-2014, 12:19 AM
If this turquoise pair produces fries. Will all the fries have black bars on them? Cause I saw some turquoise without bars or very slight bars on their bodies.. Is it some will turn out to be snakeskin? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk