PDA

View Full Version : Restarting the Egg laying Engine

jav31
07-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Hello all...

My confirmed pair seem to be on an egg laying strike. It's been about 4-5 months since any eggs. I've tried the cooler water trick and frequent WCs without any luck.

I'm in the process of getting a RO unit and I have TDS meter in route. I'm thinking I have high TDS. The pair never raised their fry before I received them. Their last successful spawn with fry was back in September after consistent weekly egg laying. A couple of tries after that but nothing getting past wiggler stage.

Any advise is appreciate.

Thanks!!!

Johnhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/20/yhy7e2uv.jpg

nc0gnet0
07-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Do you have any other pairs currently laying? If so, remove a cone of eggs from the laying pair and place it in the tank (screened) with the female that is taking a break. If not, just wait it out, happens all the time, they do need a break from time to time you know.

-Rick

jav31
07-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi Rick...

No other pairs. No problem waiting it out. I just wanted to check into it.

Appreciate the response.

-John

Swordsman
07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
When mine go "on strike", I just leave them for a few months to fatten up, then I start my personal process which I will explain. Once I know they are on strike for sure (usually after about a month of not laying) I slowly start changing thier water back to pure tap water of the course of a week from the 90% RO that I would normally keep them in. I keep them in tap for 4-6 weeks, changing thier water 50% every 3 days and feed them as much as they will eat a few times a day and clean up what they don't eat. After a month and a half or so, I start changing thier water back to RO a little each day (about 5 gallons on a 29 gallon tank every day) and feed them live food every day twice a day. after 2 weeks, I have to start mixing some tap ith the RO to keep my TDS down below 50 but above 25. Usually in 2-3 weeks of this they are back to laying eggs. I believe it simulates the dry season going back to the rainy season in the amazon (which is when they would naturally spawn). I don't know, it just works for me most of the time, not always. But enough where I have enough confidence that it will work to make go through that process.

Hope you the best of luck with your endeavors!

jav31
07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info Swordsman. They've been in aged tap all along and my RO unit will be in tomorrow. They get fed about 3 times a day. 50% WC every two days.

Still waiting on the TDS meter I bought on eBay. The seller was on vacation. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
No need to go slow when going from tap to RO or from RO to tap. Just do it. In fact doing a large change from one to the other is normally a good way to kick them back off. Also no need for live food. It is just a great way to give your pair something that you don't want. Good old fashion beefheart will do a fine job.

-john

Swordsman
07-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Well just remember, it's my way of doing it. there are many others, some simple, some more indepth than mine. Hopefully some other members will chime in and give you some other options. I will monitor this thread as I can always gain something from others ideas as well.

Swordsman
07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
John seems to have good success with his RO, I would query him if you need more info about your RO methodology.

John_Nicholson
07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I understand that there are multiple ways of doing things. Many of the things people do are for stupid reasons. I have probably had more pairs than most and I am simply stating the easiest way of doing things. Hell if you think think standing naked on top of your roof in a snow storm helps your fish spawn then by all means do it.

-john

Keith Perkins
07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
How about standing in a hotel hallway in a dress, does that help John? :gorgeous:

John_Nicholson
07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
How about standing in a hotel hallway in a dress, does that help John? :gorgeous:

Hey I will do anything that helps....LOL.

-john

nwehrman
07-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jav31
07-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Hello everyone...

Still no eggs but the RO unit is installed and running. TDS is 130 ppm from water supply and 0 ppm out. Mixing 50 % with tap in 32 gallon Brute can. Performed 50% WC yesterday with another planned tonight.

At least I know fish are getting better water now. Patiently waiting...

Thanks for the replies...

-John

jav31
07-28-2014, 11:04 PM
My new TDS-3 meter arrived today. 50% WC in breeding tank and filled with new RO water. RO Storage water read 55 ppm.

John_Nicholson
07-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Next time you do a WC have the new water at about 60 degrees.

-john

jav31
07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Will do John. The RO and tap mixture is around 70 degrees and measured 55 ppm TDS last night.

jav31
07-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Update: Another 50% WC last night with 70 degree water. I use 70 degree water because that's what the temperature is inside the unheated RO/Tap Storage container. Still nothing but the pair seem to be fine otherwise.

Keith Perkins
07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
If you want to try a 60 degree water change some ice in the reservoir would get you there.

Allwin
08-03-2014, 08:48 PM
One of my pair was stubborn for few months until this week.No wc for a week and tried 5G RO @65-70deg i guess. After this, female started to show some interest with the male. Then i left unclean for 2 days and then an another 70deg WC. Lucky enough, they spawned. But, i agree every pair differs. good luck..

jav31
08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Update: Still no eggs but a lot of shaking and cone pecking going on. Planning a 60 degree WC tonight to see if it might put them over the top.

I do have a question that might sound dumb but I like to ask dumb questions sometimes. Do discus prefer egg laying with the lights on? Let me shed some light on why I'm asking. (LOL)
I recently added a few more tanks to my fish room setup this weekend and noticed that the pair's breeding behavior was much more active when the main overhead light was on. When I turned it off last night, they seemed to move away from each other in their tank. I do have a blue LED light that I use at night too.

Looking forward to your responses...

-John

Keith Perkins
08-04-2014, 07:19 PM
IME discus always lay while the lights are on or have daylight.

Allwin
08-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Anything other than complete darkness. if its a active pair even dim shade of light is good for them ime.

jav31
08-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Leaving lights on tonight. A lot of wiggling, shaking and cone pecking going on. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Keith Perkins
08-05-2014, 07:53 AM
I'd be patient rather than leaving lights on 24 7 if it was me.

nc0gnet0
08-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I'd be patient rather than leaving lights on 24 7 if it was me.

How does the saying go? A watched pot never boils?

jav31
08-05-2014, 09:04 AM
The fish room is in the basement so during the day, they only get some light through the glass block windows.

Well...still no eggs but their behavior is definitely showing interest. Besides, I have a couple German Blue Rams pairing off and a community tank with some of Cory eggs. Never a dull moment.

jav31
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Update: After all the shaking and pecking at the cone on Tuesday Night, still nothing. I thought for sure I was going to see some eggs.

I did move a suspected pair of GBR from the main Ram tank to their own breeding tank yesterday morning. I was greeted with this:

I received these beautiful GBR from Joe Gargas @ Aquaresearchcenter.com.

jav31
08-12-2014, 08:53 AM
UPDATE: as of this morning, still no egg laying with the discus pair. The spawning behavior has stopped too. Steady water changes with cooler water will continue.

On another note...The GBR eggs didn't make it to hatching. Looked like they had a few that were fertilized but the female decided to eat those. That was their first time so that's to be expected.

jav31
08-17-2014, 10:01 PM
UPDATE: As of tonight, no activity in the breeding dept. patience, patience, patience...

Any one want to chime in?

Also...for those breeding GBR, how often should I expect a pair to lay eggs? Assuming once a month.

Thanks in advance!!!

John

Keith Perkins
08-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Once they start laying it's normally about once a week until they get it right or go into a rest period, which is often months after they start laying.

jav31
10-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Hello again...

Well...sorry to say but still no egg laying. I'm seeing a lot of cone pecking and shaking at each other but nothing else. I've tried all suggestions.

Help appreciated...

Thanks

musicmarn1
10-29-2014, 12:05 AM
John says in a different thread that he has a 90 day challenge he likes to lay out for breeders lol ! I actually TOOK this challenge myself, for a male who was not fertilizing the eggs (there can be water quality issues you want to be sure thats not it too) anyway, im on day 7 and ill let you know how it goes for me, but i also will be checking my water quality but if your using your RO water now thats unlikely!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?116478-Infertile-Discus&highlight=john%27s+beef+heart+mix

jav31
10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to admit that their diet isn't all that great. I'll take John's advice and do the beef heart mix and see how things go in 90 days.