PDA

View Full Version : May you teach me please?

a.person61
07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Hellos!
Ive only seen discus with my own eyes once for 30 seconds... Loved them so now im saving hard for a very large aquarium :D ive done reserch on ph and that sorta stuff but im missing one thing, what is it like? What is it like to hand feed your fish to have them follow u around the room to have there mid-night dramas, to wake up to happy discus next to u and what happends when u walk in the room with someone else? Feel free to od on!

Thank you!!!! :)

Quintin
07-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Keeping discus is hard work but very rewarding.Please do read the biginners section on waterchanges, feeding, filtration and water paremeters.You will want to start with some knowledge i didnt and i had some issues that could have been avoided.

Good luck
Quintin

a.person61
07-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Hello
ive done the reserch on that stuff hours and hours of it...please what do u mean by rewarding i keep hearing that but no idea why thank you

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

nvladik
07-21-2014, 06:38 PM
What I am doing right now, sitting infront of the tank just staring at it for the last half an hour. Others please correct if my experience is totally different from yours. :)

rickztahone
07-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Discus are fun to keep because of the way they interact with each other. They are very graceful when they swim and overall look very striking. They follow you around after a while and beg for food, lol.

OC Discus
07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
When I look over at my tank and notice the fish are watching me, that is rewarding. When I walk in the room and they all come rushing to the front with their tails wagging, that is rewarding. When I'm changing 80% of the water, and they let me reach in and pet them, that is rewarding. When you have brought them through bouts of disease and poor water and finally reach a point where all your fish are healthy and growing, and the tank looks great, that is rewarding. When friends look at them and are amazed by how big and colorful they are, that is rewarding...

You get the idea...

You don't have to save too much. Walmart has starter 55 gallon kits with stand for about $250. Then of course you need to buy the fish.

I agree, please read the stickies in the beginner section about water changes and proper care. My advice to someone starting out would be get the largest fish you can afford and start with discus only in a bare bottom tank with no plants, sand gravel, or other fish. With this setup, you don't even need algae eaters or bottom feeders. Maybe add 1 or 2 large decorations that can be washed weekly under hot water.

Hello
ive done the reserch on that stuff hours and hours of it...please what do u mean by rewarding i keep hearing that but no idea why thank you

ronald sherman
07-21-2014, 11:50 PM
or for the even cheaper you wouldn't believe what some people are almost giving away on CL, I bought 3 set-up for mich less than what 1 of them would of cost me and all of them are filled with discus even have 1 pr breeding on a regular basis had the fry for the first time go over 3 week's free swimming abd lost them in a few day's now back too wiggler's on the same pr maybe the next batch or two, lol

Skip
07-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Op lives in Australia

a.person61
07-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Hey guys so what im hearing its as rewarding as keeping dogs?
For those that think i need to look at the basic again i shull tell u what i know with the water stuff
ph-try and get the same as the seller
discus are senitive to chormoe (bad spelling sorry) nitrate and the other one that i cant think of right now should be removed cycle for 3weeks atleast 10gallions per a discus temp 28-30 1200 gallions a hour filter water change weekly and the other basics eg clear water

MendoMan
07-22-2014, 06:47 AM
I have Discus and I have a Labrador. Apples and oranges, no comparison, dog wins hands down. How can you compare a friend that can go darn near anywhere with you and who's sole purpose is to be obedient and obey to a tank full of fish who could care less about you and only come to the glass for food.

a.person61
07-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Dont attack me i said "what im hearing its rewarding as keeping dogs" i got 2 dogs and i would risk my life for theres. Please lets go to the subject.

OC Discus
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
You are right in that a bond develops between the fish and the caregiver, like it does with dogs. Our dog is bonded with my wife and the fish are bonded with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MendoMan
07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Dont attack me i said "what im hearing its rewarding as keeping dogs" i got 2 dogs and i would risk my life for theres. Please lets go to the subject.

No attack intended. You did ask if it was as rewarding as keeping dogs and in my opinion no way. I thought that was the subject.

a.person61
07-23-2014, 02:45 AM
Thats ok no hard feelings