PDA

View Full Version : Algae problems

aklemmensen
07-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and to Discus. I have a 25g tank that was set up in November 2013, and I had added 5 juvenile Discus in February (I will be moving them to a larger tank later this year). They are doing great and are a joy to watch grow and interact. I also have about 10 neon fish and 6 other tetras. I had one placasamus (spelling?) and about 2 month ago I have started having algae problems- green and black-green stingy stuff. I have consulted a local fish store and they recommended I get a different sucker fish (my apologies, I am not sure what kind) and a different light (not as bright). I have made those changes about 3 weeks ago and the algae seems to be better. As of yesterday I have noticed white cottony algae and milky water. I did call the pet store back and they insured me it would not harm my Discus and more of an eye sore and perhaps some snails may help with that.
Any suggestion? I change the water 2-3 times per week, 15% with tap water (using the conditioner) and I do vaccum the gravel. I have life plants in the tank. My filter is rated for 25-50g and I change he filter cartrige religiusly on day 30. I do have a test kit and everything is always normal , pH a bit on a high end around 8 on average. I am sorry if I left out some info. Any advise is welcome,

Thank you for your time.

Anya

rickztahone
07-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Is this a planted tank?

aklemmensen
07-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Is this a planted tank?

Rick,
I don't !mean to sound stupid , just not familiar with the lingo. I think you are asking if I have life plants and yes I do

OC Discus
07-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Your tank is already too small for 5 discus. Since they are in their critical growth stage, bumping up to at least 55 gallon needs to be done ASAP. All the other suggestions can be applied in the transition.

I don't think there is such a thing as white algae. You are probably seeing a type of fungus or bacteria trying to consume uneaten food in the tank. If you want the discus to be as healthy as they possibly can, please consider:

1) Set up the 55 gallon tank ASAP
2) Paint or tape some white/tan paper on the bottom
3) Keep the tank bare bottom- no sand or gravel
4) Keep only discus in the tank at least until they are grown
5) Increase your water changes to at least 50%-80% each time
6) Sickness and disease often follows closely after poor water quality- Try to make the changes before your fish get sick.
7) Using a Python or Pump will make the large water changes much easier.

Good luck. How about some pictures of your setup?

rickztahone
07-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Rick,
I don't !mean to sound stupid , just not familiar with the lingo. I think you are asking if I have life plants and yes I do

Yes, that is what I was asking. Since you have a planted tank, I have to ask, do you have co2? Are you fertilizing? How long are your lights on? These things will determine how you can control algae. Furthermore, a forum like plantedtank.net (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/) may be a better place to research this type of topic.

aklemmensen
07-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Rick,
I do not have co2, and I was fertilizing with leaf zone weekly but stopped in the last 3 weeks because I was not sure if I was contributing. My lights are on 12 plus hours when I'm at work ( 3 to 4 days a week) but I'm trying to cut down/ I apologize if I'm waisting your time by being on the wrong forum / I'm new to this

rickztahone
07-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Rick,
I do not have co2, and I was fertilizing with leaf zone weekly but stopped in the last 3 weeks because I was not sure if I was contributing. My lights are on 12 plus hours when I'm at work ( 3 to 4 days a week) but I'm trying to cut down/ I apologize if I'm waisting your time by being on the wrong forum / I'm new to this

You aren't wasting anyone's time. However, the reason I mentioned the other forum is due to the fact that they specialize in planted tanks. On this forum you will get a wealth (more so than anywhere else) on Discus.
With that being said, I can tell you right now, 12hr exposure can certainly be your main problem here. What type of fixture do you have? How many bulbs? What wattage? In simple terms, if you have too much light, and not enough nutrients for the plants, the algae will feast on the little nutrients that are available in your tank and the light exposure will make it out-compete your plant intake. Start by reducing your photo-period and maybe use some fertz to help the plants balance out the tank.

aklemmensen
07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Rick,
Thank you so much for clarifying!
Its a single 18" floramax 15w t8. I will certainly try shortening the time lights are on ( just shut them of) . seems easy enough. Do I need a co2?

rickztahone
07-21-2014, 11:30 PM
that seems like relatively low lighting actually. Just shortening the photo-period should help decreasing the algae. How far off the top of the tank do you have it? You do not need co2 unless you have higher end plants that really benefit from the extra co2.

aklemmensen
07-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Its right over the tank. I did put it in only 3 weeks ago and like I mentioned it seemed to help but now came this while algae. I feel like m loosing the battle ) I will be patient. Thank you so incredibly much !

foggy01.1983
07-22-2014, 12:36 PM
I very much doubt this is algae. Algae has pigmentation for photosynthesis.

Without a picture I think it's more than likely fungus from detritus build up, especially as this is a low maintained planted tank, which in opinion is way too small for the amount of discus in it.

Bigger water changes and a strip down is what I would suggest losing the gravel etc.

Skip
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
does it look like this?

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/images/tuff_algae.jpg

and when was the last time you added plants into the tank?

aklemmensen
07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Thank you for all the comments/suggestions. I am looking around for a bigger tank currently because I know that it will be too small soon. I will add pictures when I get home from work. Plants have been in for a while , the latest 3-4 m. ago. About the gravel, I have been seeing that bear bottom is the best for discus . Would I be able to put gravel back in at some point since it does look better with the gravel. Also, if I remove the gravel, how would I keep the pants at the bottom?
The tank looks much less clowdy today, almost normal and the white algae/fungus. I did forget to mention that I added a piece of bark to the tank 1 weeks ago that I purchased at the fish store and that is where the white stuff is growing on. I did soak it for about a week like they told me at the pet store.
Skip, does not look exactly like that. I will certainly try to get good pics tonight.
Also, I feed discus flakes 2-3 times a day and dried worms once a day. Should I feel less to avoid food leftovers or reduce the amount?

OC Discus
07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
You can add gravel later, but I wouldn't. Having used gravel and sand I find you can keep the rank much cleaner without either. The waste products that are feeding your algae problem are almost impossible to remove without large daily water changes. They accumulate over time providing a food source for the algae.

Why not set your new tank up for discus and keep the existing tank with plants and the other fish. That way you can learn about plant care and discus care before trying to put them together.

The white stuff on the bark is probably bacteria. It is a common problem with wood. The Wood and the waste products on it are a food source for bacteria. You can scrub it off under hot water as needed.

Removing the excess waste through larger and/or more frequent water changes is about the only way to eliminate algae. You could add purigen to your filtration to reduce some of the accumulation of waste in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aklemmensen
07-23-2014, 12:50 AM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d903b3127ccef6f9add1d27d00000030O00AcNWrlw5cOG 4Pbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00708898955820140723044418735.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d903b3127ccef6f89a26b24500000030O00AcNWrlw5cOG 4Pbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00708898955820140723044430336.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d903b3127ccef6f9e6c092d100000030O00AcNWrlw5cOG 4Pbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00708898955820140723044430604.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d903b3127ccef6f97fa2d26700000030O00AcNWrlw5cOG 4Pbz4W/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00708898955820140723044442205.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

aklemmensen
07-23-2014, 12:51 AM
ok, I just added some pictures , they are being reviewed before publishing.
thanks again

Second Hand Pat
07-23-2014, 01:02 AM
The pictures are viewable now.

foggy01.1983
07-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Seen as you only have about 3 plants I would strip the tank completely. I would then clean the gravel and if you really want some in there, put only .5cm depth of gravel in.

The plants without sounding rude look like they have seen their best.

I would get a couple of plants which have been grown in pots and leave them in them and place in the tank.

This will make it much easier to clean and you can have the plants and some gravel. I also wouldn't bother with any plant food. You don't have enough to worry about. All you will be doing is putting in plant food to feed algae.

A easy nice looking potted plant like Amazon swords will look great and take very little care.

Atb Steve

rickztahone
07-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Seen as you only have about 3 plants I would strip the tank completely. I would then clean the gravel and if you really want some in there, put only .5cm depth of gravel in.

The plants without sounding rude look like they have seen their best.

I would get a couple of plants which have been grown in pots and leave them in them and place in the tank.

This will make it much easier to clean and you can have the plants and some gravel. I also wouldn't bother with any plant food. You don't have enough to worry about. All you will be doing is putting in plant food to feed algae.

A easy nice looking potted plant like Amazon swords will look great and take very little care.

Atb Steve

I agree with this advice. I was under the impression that you might have had a lot more plants. For the amount of plants you have, you may have too much light and too long a period with them on. One thing to remember with planted tanks is that it is always better to overcrowd the tank with plants and then thin out later than the other way around. They outcompete the algae in that manner. The diatom algae you are seeing here is outcompeting your plants very easily. Either add more plants, or completly take them out as well as your hardscape and boil it.

OC Discus
07-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Another step I took to prevent diatom was to cut tank light to 8 hours per day. It definitely helped.

The tank is not dark except at night. Room light gives visibility during the other daytime hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip
07-24-2014, 09:57 AM
YIKES!! Green Hair Algae.. good luck.. this is a bugger to get rid of

just leave the light off.. until it dies.. and UP your water changes..
its usually caused by an imbalance of water chemistry.. and light fixtures that are old.. and light spectrum changes..

another thing.. add more plants.. they will out compete algae

aklemmensen
07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Guys,

I am not offended by any comments. I have been struggling with the plants. I have been cutting down on light and upping water changes. I will boil the rock too and will try getting more plants. If that does not work, the heck with it, I will remove the plants and the gravel. I really appreciate everyones help. My dad had always had discus and they were a big part of my childhood. My dad passed away unexpectantly 2y ago and I recently had a baby girl that is why I got discus. So they are very precious to me and I shake over them more than you can imagine.

I will keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks again,

Anya

rickztahone
07-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Good luck Anya, and thanks for sharing with us. I hope you get the issue under control. If you are in to plants, visit plantedtank.net or scapeclub.org and many times the members there will give out plants/trimmings for free so long as you pay the shipping. I know I use to give away about a 1/4 of a 5g bucket every few weeks or so locally, lol. Just look out for the threads that say RAOK (random act of kindness). Hope that helps.