PDA

View Full Version : Help. Dad keep eating eggs.

usuzukuri
07-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Hi. My male red melon keep eating the egg right after the female spawned them. Any suggestion?? thanks.

Allwin
07-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Give them few attempts. I had some pairs behaved initially this way before becoming good parents. Some pairs are very robust and they just breed anywhere anytime.But, some needs peaceful environment without much disturbance until they feel secured/comfortable for them to proceed.

Second Hand Pat
07-26-2014, 12:23 AM
Is the male young? If so he may need some time to mature. Like Allwin suggested, let them practice.

usuzukuri
07-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks Pat and Allwin. The male is about 6in+. Not sure how old since I just got them from Kenny last month. They are in the community tank now. Do you think they can produce wigglers in there or have to be in their own tank? Thanks.

timmy82
07-26-2014, 06:08 AM
There are many factors but yes they can produce wrigglers if indeed they are a pair. I have had 2 females act as a pair and when spawn the other would eat them and then lay her's! Normally let them get proven as a pair in the comunity tank and then move to their own.

rdiscus
07-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Some male never get to mature ... I have two males old enough to be grand dad, but never do a thing but keep eating egg

Rudustin
07-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Just them practice in the community tank. I did that recently. The pair have produced wrigglers. This is their third time. Just removed other discus today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk