PDA

View Full Version : Normal breeding age and size

eat078
08-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I have 13 ~9 months old discus. They were from Hans from 3" and 4". Few of them now reach the size close to 5". Today I suspect a potential pair. They are both ~5" fire red. Now always hang together and clean the same spot of the drift wood. They will clear away others closed by.

Is 5" (or 9 month old) the right size start to breed? How long will it take from cleaning until laying eggs?

Honestly I don't expect them to breed in this size because they are relatively small compare with breeding pairs in Hans fish house. He told me discus slow down growing once start breeding. So I was hoping if they can at least wait till 6". Not sure that make sense. Is any way to delay the breeding happen? Or should I just let it go?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/02/baby9u4y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
08-02-2014, 08:06 AM
I have had them start breeding as young as 9 months and as old as 18 months. As far as the size if you raised them in a planted tank full grown at 5 inches is often the norm.

-john

nc0gnet0
08-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Playing house will not effect growth too much, but I do believe raising fry might. Just let them be and enjoy.

John_Nicholson
08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Playing house will not effect growth too much, but I do believe raising fry might. Just let them be and enjoy.

In the long run I really don't think it matters much. The biggest discus I ever raised started raising fry at 9 months. It does probably slow the growth down but I think with proper care they still will reach their potential.

-john

eat078
08-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Thank you John and nc0gnet0. I guess I will leave them in this community tank to practice their first spawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudustin
08-02-2014, 10:10 PM
I had a Silver Pigeon lay eggs at seven months. It was a shock for me but it does happen.