PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Media Choice

PhilNH
08-01-2014, 11:33 PM
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with discus. For filtration I have an Aquaclear 70 and an Eheim 2217. The Eheim came with the ceramic noodles, blue pad, porous balls and water polishing pad. The manual also shows an alternative setup with all blue coarse sponges and a polishing pad. Which would be "better?" The sponges might be more convenient to clean or maintain. Thanks.

ProBreeders
08-02-2014, 01:18 AM
I used to use Substrat Pro, ceramic beeds and Seachem Purigen. The purigen helps, but it gets used up fairly quickly and i'm tired of bleaching it. Not long ago i came across Biohome Ultimate and after a month, I'm really starting to see a difference with nitrate levels. All I'm using now is just the coarse sponges on the bottom, filter floss and Biohome on top and it seems to be doing very well. My fishes seem to look brighter in color too.

pcsb23
08-02-2014, 05:53 AM
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with discus. For filtration I have an Aquaclear 70 and an Eheim 2217. The Eheim came with the ceramic noodles, blue pad, porous balls and water polishing pad. The manual also shows an alternative setup with all blue coarse sponges and a polishing pad. Which would be "better?" The sponges might be more convenient to clean or maintain. Thanks.Either. Whichever works best for you.

NH Murph
10-06-2014, 08:15 AM
I have always used the media that is supplied with the Eheim classic series with great results. My canisters are on heavily planted high tech tanks with a heavy bioload and weekly 50% WC, I don't recall getting nitrate over 20ppm.