PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank's light.

Nima
08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Hello.
what is ur idea about the light in discus fish tank? how much light do ten 2" discus need in a day?
which colors do u prefer? and additional informations plz. :confused:

Rudustin
08-02-2014, 08:26 AM
How big is your tank? What strain of discus do you have? Do you have plants? Do you have substrate? I use LED lights. Less energy used and less heat produced by the fixtures. Aqueon has very good LED fixtures with bulbs that highlight certain colors plus they have a moon light for evening lighting. My lights are mostly timed for evening hours. Hope this helps. Rufus

Larry Bugg
08-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Hello.
how much light do ten 2" discus need in a day?

They don't need any additional light. The light is for your benefit not theirs. They would prefer as little as possible.

Nima
08-04-2014, 08:21 AM
many tnx Rudustin. the length of the tank is 40 inch, width is 19 in and the height is 23 inch. the volume is 53 Gallons. I keep 5 Blue Snake Skni, 5 Cobalt Blue and 2 Giant Flora. the tank in bare bottom and I only keep two types of plants, a Cryptocoryne and a Microsorum pteropus.

adapted
08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Nima - Just to avoid any confusion down the road, your tank is about 80 US gallons... you may have been using Imperial gallons but to get the best answers here to various volume related questions, you should probably use the US units...

(If you want your 2" fish to grow well, you should feed often and plan on changing half or more of the water every day...)

Lilly
08-10-2014, 04:27 PM
So if Discus would prefer no light, how does on go about acclimating them? And which lights... bulb fixture etc. are endorsed here?

Rudustin
08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
So if Discus would prefer no light, how does on go about acclimating them? And which lights... bulb fixture etc. are endorsed here? Lilly, as Larry said the light is for your benefit no so much the discus but of course those of us that are in the hobby end would like to see our discus as they do whatever they do in the tank. I don't think you need to acclimate them to lighting you simply choose what lighting you prefer to bring out their colors best. As I suggested Aqueon has many choices of tank lighting fixtures with removable LED light tubes that show off the colors of your fish to their full potential. The reason I have suggested the ones with a Moon light is that in the morning I very often will turn on the Moon light so as to not frighten the discus until they have had just a little light to start. Acclimating them to light isn't very difficult you simply turn on the lights either in the room first and allow the discus to get used to light in the first place and then turn on your tank lights or use the moon light. Hope this helps you in your quest for "proper" lighting. Rufus