PDA

View Full Version : How to cool tanks ???

jsullins
08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I am banned from bringing any more tanks in the house so I want to move my two grow out tanks plus add 2 more to try and raise some fry if my pairs pan out to the garage. My question or problem is the Texas heat. Today the temp in the garage was 96, I checked my water storage containers a 55g drum and 225g tote and both were at 87-88. If the tanks were to go any higher than that what would be the best way to cool them? When its all said and done there would be 4-55g and 2-25g out there.

Frankr409
08-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Wow...A fellow by the name of Reese Barns down in the Planted tank forum has implemented a chiller if I am not mistaken. Couldn't hurt to read that thread. Chillers are not cheap though. Perhaps use that as leverage against the wife.

yim11
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM
+1, the chillers the salt folks use will work.

Second Hand Pat
08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
You could try blowing a fan across the water surface. Reefers do this to help cool reef tanks.

Mihai Boldor
08-07-2014, 04:01 AM
I use a fan as well to blow air across the surface of the water, it is a good method but I doubt it will work in your case, a chiller is a far better solution for you

nvladik
08-07-2014, 09:17 AM
+1 for fan implementation. All you need it a few degrees.

Second Hand Pat
08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I would give fans a try. There are very cost effective fan units made to attach to the tank and if it works is way more cost effective both in up front and reoccurring costs.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I have a fan blowing across the top of my reef tank. It helps stabilize the temp a bit. But at some point though, especially in 90 degree weather you will just be pushing around heat.

I will try and find an article about this topic that talked about a cold water drip system off your tap water into holding tanks that helps keep your water cooler in the summertime. As long as you use Prime or Safe to your main tanks, this might help.

sdrexler078
08-07-2014, 10:40 AM
You could get a small ac window unit for your garage. And try to insulate the garage better. They also have portable units that a fairly cheap that would work too

DiscusLoverJeff
08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
You could get a small ac window unit for your garage. And try to insulate the garage better. They also have portable units that a fairly cheap that would work too

That's a good point. They have portable air conditioners on wheels that could be placed near your tanks.

MKD
08-07-2014, 01:06 PM
long term is chiller.
short term is fan and/or float ice bottle water .

brewmaster15
08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi, If the heat where you are is dry heat, maybe an evaporative cooler...cheaper to run that an Air Conditioner , not good in humid areas, but in dry heat, it may be cost effective in your garage.

hth,
al

nc0gnet0
08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Recirculating ground chiller. Grab a shovel :) Same concept as a heat pump.

nc0gnet0
08-07-2014, 02:16 PM
In all seriousness though, once you reach a certain point in gallons, chillers will begin to lose their efficiency. Any device that chills or air-conditions ultimately puts out heat. Unless the unit is vented, it will add to the ambient temperature of the garage.

Would an evaporative cooler add a bunch of humidity? I am picturing the coolers that take a fine mist of water and then disburse it into the air.

brewmaster15
08-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I am picturing the coolers that take a fine mist of water and then disburse it into the air. That I don't know, but from what I have read in a dry climate they don't, because the air is so dry.. I can't use one in CT in the Summer as the air is too humid to begin with even when hot. I know the evaporative coolers are used alot in parts of of the south west.. Wish I could use them here as they are very cheap to run.

-al

nc0gnet0
08-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Yeah its the same basic principle as taking an airless paint sprayer, running water through it and misting the air. The cooling effects will be instantaneous. And it does work and work well. Being in Michigan with a generally very humid climate as well, I am envisioning a tropical rain forest starting to grow in ones garage over time. Seeing so many residential mold issues around my area, something just says warning warning. I have to admit I have no clue if that would be a concern in Texas though. Apparently not, as they are used as you say in dry climates......interesting.