PDA

View Full Version : Would this work? (Long)

Adoinc
08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Posted something similar before read ahead anyway.

I wrote a whole story about my horrible past experience with discus but my computer froze so I couldn't save it so I'll just get on with what I wanted to ask. One thing that might be important is that two batches died so I stopped getting them. I was kind of a noob and broke some rules but the stuff that happened shouldn't have been so severe.

Anyways, I have more experience with the hobby now and wondering if this could work.

Filtration: 1 Aqua Clear 110 filled with purigen acting as a perigean-reactor to remove nitrates.
1 Eheim 2262 925 GPH empty rated for 396 gallons.
1 Aqueon ProFlex Modular Sump Filtration System Model 4: 36L x 13.75W x 19H Holds about 50 gallons give or take with a Mag Flow 18 1800 GPH flow at 4 feet of head pressure.

DSB in sump for reduction of Nitrates (P.S. Sump will be used as wet/dry filter)

All of the filter flows will be diffused so it won't blow the discus around the tank.

Tank Dimensions:
72" x 24" x 24" - 180 gallons.

Stocking: 6x Discus 1x Bristlenose Pleco/Sailfin Pleco (That is is it)

Plants: Water lettuce to soak up extra metals or nitrates that may be present that weren't filtered out.

Ph: Roughly 6.0 - 6.5 From peat in filter and Manzanita wood

Extra: Lighting will be Current USA Satellite Freshwater Aquarium LED Plus Light w/ remote.
Water changes 25% twice weekly with tap water aged for 24 hrs. and prime dosed as well.
Temp: 86f
Tank will be bare-bottomed besides wood and a couple of river rocks and almond leaves.
It will also be fish less cycled.

Any more?

So, with all of that crap (some unnecessary to mention, I know, just thought I'd throw it in there) would two 25% water changes per week suffice? Also, would that get me good quality fish if I buy from a good stock like Hans Discus and buy them at 6" or would they be stunted and not meet the 8" length with full bodies like I would hope. I just want them to be happy and not be football shaped. I don't really have time for more water changes though. :( I'm hoping with how understocked that is and how much filtration is on there that I could get away with small water changes. If not I could just go another route but this is one of my options that I'm considering.

If this were you, would you change anything for the better?

I also know I posted something similar before but now I'm wondering if I added a couple more it would be fine? I also haven't had good luck before with discus so don't know if this would work for me. Last time I tried them I lost around 500$ in fish and don't want that to happen again. Granted, I do know more now though.

Adoinc
08-07-2014, 10:49 PM
I know it will be quite of a process and won't happen for at least 6 months down the road but I want to have it set up in my mind before-hand so I will get an idea of what I will be looking at.

The time thing BTW wasn't necessarily true though. I am sort-of young so not paying for the water bill. I would happily do bi-daily water changes if tap-water wasn't so expensive. That is what my parents say although I am not so sure about that.

adapted
08-08-2014, 12:50 AM
You should be okay with that water change regimen for 6 adult discus in a 180. I would consider doing one large change in addition as often as you can get to it. Otherwise, the percentages of the things you don't want in your water will likely get steadily higher over time. In any case, don't expect 8-inch fish; they are few and far between in the best circumstances.

(You're well into overkill territory for filtration. If you really want to optimize the environment, divert some of that money into hardware to make water changes quicker and easier.)

John_Nicholson
08-08-2014, 08:29 AM
It all depends. If you start with fairly large discus you will probably be fine. If you start with smaller discus then probably not. If I were you I would just buy some 6+ inch adults and then enjoy them. Hans is a great choice for that.

-john