PDA

View Full Version : First spawn, laid white eggs.

ptactics922
08-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I had a Red Turq (female) and a snow white pair off in my community tank. I just watched them spawn for the first time (that I have seen) and after the male got over eating all the eggs and actually started making his passes over them right behind the female... I noticed something was wrong. Aren't the eggs supposed to be tan/orange? She laid entirely white, a good 100+ eggs (alot were eaten in the beginning). This is a pic of them literally 20 minutes after being laid. they are being fanned now.

Did she lay an entire batch of dead eggs?

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/ptactics22/IMG_4446_zpsdcbebe68.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/ptactics22/media/IMG_4446_zpsdcbebe68.jpg.html)

nc0gnet0
08-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Do you have a picture of the red turq? My guess is that the Snow white is a female and those are her eggs.

ptactics922
08-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Watched them spawn for about 30 min. the turk is def. the female. I'll get a pic of her for you though.

nc0gnet0
08-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Watched them spawn for about 30 min. the turk is def. the female. I'll get a pic of her for you though.

Lol, what makes you so sure that they both are not females? never seen a turq lay white eggs, although I guess it is possible. My money still says those are the snow whites eggs.

ptactics922
08-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Snapped this quick. I did take a video of them spawning too. I haven't even watched it yet since it just happened. If it would help i can toss it up on youtube.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/ptactics22/IMG_4449_zps14d51d13.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/ptactics22/media/IMG_4449_zps14d51d13.jpg.html)

Larry Bugg
08-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Solid white would = infertile. Those don't look like what I would call solid white. More of a opaque or clear. You can see in them. White infertile eggs you wouldn't be able to see inside.

nc0gnet0
08-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Solid white would = infertile. Those don't look like what I would call solid white. More of a opaque or clear. You can see in them. White infertile eggs you wouldn't be able to see inside.

+1

opaque=infertile or dead
translucent=good

ptactics922
08-10-2014, 07:24 PM
thanks for the input. I'm converting a video of the spawn to x264 and will upload it. The other thing I had a question about was her breeding tube. In the video when you watch her attach the eggs (and she isn't flat on the driftwood) her breeding tube sticks out well away from her body while she is attaching eggs. you can see it a few times in the video. Just wondering if shes a little deformed or something. She did damage her fin badly about 4 months ago, maybe it damaged something inside her. I'll post a link once its uploaded, going to take a while. :)

ptactics922
08-10-2014, 08:25 PM
vid

http://youtu.be/2xDflHSUw-w

John_Nicholson
08-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I once had a pair of golden PB's that laid eggs like that. I raised a ton of babies out of them and then one of my customers bought them. He had hell getting any babies. He told me that the eggs were never any good.........Turns out he thought they were infertile because of the color and would siphon them out. Finally figured it out when he finally gave up and left them alone. A couple of days later they were watching a nice batch of wigglers....LOL.

-john

nc0gnet0
08-11-2014, 08:39 AM
well there is a first time for everything, seen plenty of white eggs before, just not from a turq. :)

John_Nicholson
08-11-2014, 09:53 AM
well there is a first time for everything, seen plenty of white eggs before, just not from a turq. :)

Me too.

ptactics922
08-13-2014, 10:35 AM
24hrs later only 6 went opaque white. Around 48 hours they ate all the opaques along with about 25% of what looked good. Remaining eggs showed dark inside. This got me excited they were going to actually make it to a few wigglers before they ate them, but they decided to get rid of the rest that evening lol. I'm just keeping them in the community tank and going to let them have fun. If they ever get anything to late wiggler/free swimming (they will get obliterated by the neons) I might move them to actually let them have a fair shot, the experience would be awesome, but won't most of the spawn be badly peppered? Or am I wrong? Either way I could fill my mom's 130 with the ugliest fish ever and she would love it, haha

John_Nicholson
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
It depends on what the snow white is genetically.

-john

ptactics922
08-20-2014, 08:06 AM
I got them all from a local breeder so I spoke with him yesterday to see what his snow white line was. He said the fry will be clean, no peppering. They are also 48 hours into wigglers with their 2nd clutch so the white eggs are definetly viable. I started cycling a 20 high for them and an going to setup a 40 bowfront for a short term grow out. Genetics are kinda new to me so I have been reading through some of the stickies (super helpful) but I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake. I'm guessing the majorit of the fry will be white with white eyes and some will have light red faces or light blue lines jus on small portions of the body? Sort of up in the air besides the dominant white and eye.

ptactics922
08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
And thanks again all for answering my noob questions. Never had the resources or time to even think about fry until recently.