PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify what strain is this discus?

Rudustin
08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
This fish was purchased almost two years ago by me at my LFS. It was sold to me as a very small juvie Blue Diamond. This discus is now six inches, very full bodied and high finned. It's color is green blue and of course he has one bar on the base of its tail. I know it cannot be a blue diamond because I do have two BDs from Hans and their color is less metallic and without the green sheen. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks. Rufushttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/12/a8eve7ep.jpg

Gene
08-11-2014, 10:44 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say ocean green. Though, I'm not sure if it's a true strain or marketing.. either way, you have a nice fish there

Rudustin
08-11-2014, 10:48 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say ocean green. Though, I'm not sure if it's a true strain or marketing.. either way, you have a nice fish there
Hello Gene, Thanks so much for your reply. That particular Discus has also traveled through every mistake I've made on Discus so it is stronger than all my other discus! Do you remember who or what breeders either here on the forum or otherwise sell this particular color strain called Ocean Green? If you do let me know. Love the fish in your avatar! Are they yours? Rufus

Gene
08-11-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure about breeders. I haven't seen those fish for a few years. The fish in my avatar were my first and only batch of discus. I bought them at about 1.5"-2" and they grew up to be my favorite pair. Believe it or not, I found them on CL lol. I only had them for about a year before I had to sell them when I joined the Air Force. Can't wait to get some more! Good luck on your search for answers.

Keith Perkins
08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
I would have guessed an Asian BD.

yim11
08-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Reminds of the old Wattley Green Mamba's.

Rudustin
08-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Reminds of the old Wattley Green Mamba's. I agree. I used to see this color variation at Jack's years ago.

Rudustin
08-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I would have guessed an Asian BD.
Keith what about the bar on his tail?

Keith Perkins
08-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Good question. I'd take it whatever it is.

John_Nicholson
08-12-2014, 08:19 AM
It is just a blue diamond with less blue. I have seen them called ocean greens and such but it is a just a BD. As far as the bar it is just not a show quality type of fish. Many LFS BD's will show that.

-john

Rudustin
08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Good question. I'd take it whatever it is.

Thanks Keith. Appreciate your reply.

DISCUS STU
08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I've also seen high bodied fish that look like this, and have purchased them, sold as "Bulldog" Blue Diamonds (another marketing name) from at least one importer bringing them in from Asia. Some of the Asian breeders seem to like breeding for high body types.

Rudustin
08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I've also seen high bodied fish that look like this, and have purchased them, sold a "Bulldog" Blue Diamonds (another marketing name) from at least one importer bringing them in from Asia. Some of the Asian breeders seem to like breeding for high body types.
I would imagine that this is that type Stu. It is decidedly different than my stendker BDs. Shape is different, color is different, no barring at all and fins more high. It looks much more like my asians. I use to live in Fort Lee! Thanks for your reply. Rufus

DISCUS STU
08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
I had them a few years ago but really wanted regular Blue Diamonds. I wasn't crazy about the shape which is deliberately elongated. Here's pics. of mine.8321783218 I don't really see them much anymore.

Rudustin
08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
I had them a few years ago but really wanted regular Blue Diamonds. I wasn't crazy about the shape which is deliberately elongated. Here's pics. of mine.8321783218 I don't really see them much anymore. StU, the photos of the blue diamond in the picture looks very much like the one I have. Same color and metallic sheen and similar shape. Thanks. Rufus

aquadon2222
08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
A blue diamond with some greenish tinting and a bit of a hi body, bulldoggish thing going on. It really depends on where you draw the line on creating a new "strain", because the term "strain" has no real biological, genetic absolutism - there are variances within strains; and if someone wants to selectively breed for those variances, voila, you have a new strain.
All said, I think it's a cool looking fish!