PDA

View Full Version : Lighting recommendations

jen83
08-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I am thinking about adding more plants to my current 75 gal. setup and would like recommendations on lighting. I'm not looking to do a heavily planted tank, just some swords and a couple other varieties to go with the java fern that I have. Currently, I have a t8 fixture with a full spectrum bulb. Will a t8 plant bulb be ok? Or would a t5 or led system be better? If so, any recommendations on a fairly inexpensive but decent fixture?

sdrexler078
08-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Check out buildmyled. I just got a fixture from them. Couldn't be happier

DiscusLoverJeff
08-12-2014, 03:50 PM
An LED fixture with . 5 watt or 1 watt 6500k LED's would be fine. Also look into an auto dimmer. Sometimes too much light can send your tank into an algae bloom very quickly. Start out low and slow and gradually increase the power.

jen83
08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
I will check out buildmyled.

And thank you DiscusLoverJeff for the info. I came across the Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture, but the wattage is 30 for the 48"-60" fixture. I'm thinking that would be too low?? It seems to get a lot of good reviews.
http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/

jen83
08-12-2014, 09:50 PM
I also came across a Beamswork led. Any opinions?
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Tropical-Fish-p/56327p.htm

GTOAviator
08-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Check out Finnex FugeRay Planted+
I've been using this on my planted discus tank with success.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HURE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407998860&sr=8-2&keywords=Finnex+FugeRay

Marcelishpak
08-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Finnex has some nice and affordable led. Like Gto said FugeRay planted+ is a good choice. I have it with combination of finnex ray 2 on fully planted tank and it grows plants real nice.

jds1990
08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
I have the current sattelite led+. It's a good fixture I have it on my 100 gallon. Plants don't grow like weeds but they are progressing. I am getting another fixture soon for it. They are good imo not a lot of light but low temperature and the custom remote feature is nice. You will definitely see a beautiful lighting difference over fluorescent. If you are growing plants with low lighting requirements it will be fine. They are on ebay from petco for 112 plus shipping good price imo.

jen83
08-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Thank you for the recommendations. I went with the Current Satellite Plus. While I love the look of my aquarium under that light and the different settings, I am experiencing a lot of issues with it. I am not sure if I will be keeping it or going to a different one.

fishtanktenderfoot
08-28-2014, 01:07 PM
I also have the Current Satellite LED Plus on my 48" tank. I really like the look it provides, and it offers enough light on my 25" deep tank to grow algae when I leave them on too long... oops. I paired it with the dual ramp timer so they "ramp" from off to 100% over a 5-15min window, and the same when they turn off. I don't have to remember to turn them on or off, and I think the fish will like the more "natural" light getting steadily brighter rather than 100% on all at once.

jen83
08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
It is good to read that a couple of people have this same light and are happy with it. Perhaps I just happened to get a faulty one. It started out with flickering/flashing when I adjusted the colors/settings and has also progressed to the unit not responding to the remote. At times, the remote will not work at all and other times no matter what I push the white lights would dim. As of right now, I can't get the lights to turn on because the remote will not work.

I also have the Current Satellite LED Plus on my 48" tank. I really like the look it provides, and it offers enough light on my 25" deep tank to grow algae when I leave them on too long... oops. I paired it with the dual ramp timer so they "ramp" from off to 100% over a 5-15min window, and the same when they turn off. I don't have to remember to turn them on or off, and I think the fish will like the more "natural" light getting steadily brighter rather than 100% on all at once.

I want to look into a ramp timer once my light is replaced. Do you experience any flickering/flashing when the lights are ramped down below a certain percentage? I read that this could happen so I wasn't sure if the satellite plus could be paired with a timer.

fishtanktenderfoot
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
I am assuming you checked the batteries in your remote? :o

There are tradeoffs when you pair the light with the ramp timer. I use it for basic 24 hr ramp on and ramp off which it does nicely. And with this setup, I no longer use the remote (but I had no remote issues, either.) You are correct that the Current literature states to not dim below 7% in the "off" mode. When I bought this and set it up initially, I followed their instructions, but 7% actually still put out a lot of light. I could see the glow of the lamps from the top of the stairs (tank is in the basement.) And then I got algae, so I tried setting it to 0% in the "off" mode with my fingers crossed, and I have not had any issues. No noticeable flickering and no flashing.

jen83
08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
That was one of the first things I did. I even changed the battery but still no luck.

Thanks for the info. on the ramp timer. I will be purchasing that as soon as I get the new light.

jds1990
08-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Pretty sure they have a one year warranty. I'd contact the manufacturer. Did you buy it from them directly?

jen83
08-28-2014, 07:59 PM
No, I didn't buy it through them. I have been in contact with them though and they are sending a new one.

jds1990
08-28-2014, 08:05 PM
That's good to hear!

jen83
08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Yea, definitely! Fingers crossed no issues with the new one. I am feeling better about it though knowing others have the light with no problems.

jds1990
08-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes I've had it for almost a year now and haven't had any issues with it. Hope your next unit is trouble free!

jen83
08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks!

jds1990
09-13-2014, 11:19 PM
New unit working problem free? I just got my other unit I ordered. Got thehttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/13/c8d4c3d5e5d13c19aec80c99827e074b.jpg lights set on cloud mode looks nice also got a stingray which was a bad choice but it looks cool and its healthy!

jen83
10-27-2014, 07:48 PM
The new light has been working great! Thanks for asking. I was contemplating switching to a different light, but am happy I stayed with this one because I love the look of my tank and the different settings it offered. Nice stingray! Would love to have one but my 75gal doesn't have the space